Bible questions

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
I came up with some questions I am sure you guys have the answers.<br /><br />Who told the story of Jesus's birth? I know it is written down by the disicples, but they probably were not around at that time, so someone must have told it to them. Can we assume it was Mary? Is there any reference to this in the Bible?<br /><br />What happened to Joeseph?<br /><br />How old was Jesus when baptised by John the Baptist?<br /><br />How old was Jesus when he was crucified?<br /><br />Thanks, Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Bible questions

Well duuu, found this infor on the web.<br /><br />We do not know for sure the exact age of Jesus when He was crucified, but He was probably 33 years old. Here is the argument.<br /> Jesus was baptized. But the reason He was baptized was to "fulfill all righteousness," (Matt. 3:15). He had to fulfill the legal requirements for entering into the priesthood after the order of Melchizedek (Psalm 110:4; Heb. 5:8-10; 6:20). Priests offered sacrifice to God on behalf of the people. Jesus became a sacrifice for our sin (1 Pet. 2:24; 2 Cor. 5:21) in His role as priest. <br /> To be consecrated as a priest, Jesus had to be: 1) washed with water - baptism - (Lev. 8:6; Exodus 29:4, Matt. 3:16). 2) Anointed with oil - the Holy Spirit - (Lev. 8:12; Exodus 29:7; Matt. 3:16). Additionally, He may have needed to be 30 years old, Num. 4:3, "from thirty years and upward, even to fifty years old, all who enter the service to do the work in the tent of meeting." <br /> Therefore we can conclude that Jesus began His earthly ministry at the age of 30. Since it went on for 3 1/2 years before Jesus was crucified, it is safe to say that He was 33 at the time of His death.<br /><br />Ken

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great question, Ken. The story of Jesus' birth is told in the Gospel of Matthew and the Gospel of Luke. Since the disciples didn't meet Jesus until about the time He was baptized, they weren't there at the time of his birth.<br /><br />Indeed, Mary herself may have told the story of her son's birth, another possibility would be James. James, Jesus' brother, is strongly believed to have been one of the main leaders of the church in Jerusalem in the earliest days. I have no evidence of this, but I would guess that James may have been the one who told that family story.<br /><br />The Bible doesn't tell us what happened to Joseph.<br /><br />The information that you have about His age at the time of His baptism and crucifixion is pretty much generally accepted.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Dadgum, I didnt even know Jesus had a brother. Thanks for the info. One day I plan on reading it, in my "spare time".<br /><br />Ken

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The information about Jesus' brother is "extra-biblical." He is referred to in Galatians 1:19, and Matthew 13:55 (I did a search, I don't have all of this committed to memory). When I say the information about him is "extra-biblical" I mean his importance as a figure in the early Jerusalem church. There is some extrapolation that goes on there, because Paul went to see him and he does seem, by that time to have become a very important leader.<br /><br />I've never found any spare time. Get it on tape and listen to it when you have to drive. I can read and search because as the pastor of a church, my congregation expects me to be doing those things anyway.

spratt

Lieutenant

Many thiings that history records are passed down through people over teh centuries. The birth of Jesus was foretold many hundreds of years before his birth, and therefore when the event ocurred, it became a widespread story passed around by very many. In fact, the story of the birth of Jesus made it to the leaders of teh time. The king heard and sent men out to destroy him, unsuccessfully. Granted, this didn't all happen in a day or even probably a year! Did the star appear teh eve of his birth, or was it there for a number of months or even perhaps years, prior to his birth. The Wise Men who came bearing gifts travelled a long way, and could not have made it in a days journey. But they were led by prophecy, and teh star, and perhaps even by many sotries about the child hvaing been born! Lots we are not aware of, but He did tell us not to even be concerned with His birth, which incidentally was probably around September according to dates in teh Bible (and judging that he was born about 6 months after John the Baptist, his cousin) but instead to remember His death, for it was His death that bought salvation and deliverance from sin and damnation. <br /><br /><br />Joseph died an old man (Exodus 1:6) and his bones were carried up and buried outside of Egypt when the Israelites were led out by Moses.<br /><br />Jesus was approximately 30 when he was Baptized of JOhn, to fulfill all righteousness, and as an example to us. (We are commanded many times itn eh scriptures to be baptized, and in Acts it tells us that baptism is for the remittance of sins).<br /><br />It is generally agreed that Jesus was about 33 when He was crucified. The Roamns used crucifixion to humiliate and tirture those they put to death. It was a slow painful and torturous death. They even lined the streets with Christians and lit them at night for night lights at one time.

aspeck

Staff member

Okay, I am stupid! I was already to give you a lesson on Joseph, and he fulfilled the promise, and died in the land of Egypt after returning his father's bones to the Canaan (Gen 50), then, just before I hit "Add Reply" I realized you were probably talking about Joseph, as in Mary and Joseph.<br /><br />Okay:<br />Mat 13:55 Isn't he the son of the carpenter? Isn't Mary his mother, and aren't James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas his brothers? <br />Mat 13:56 Don't his sisters still live here in our town? How can he do all this?" <br /> <br />Gal 1:19 The only other apostle I saw was James, the Lord's brother. <br /><br />There are also other scriptures that refer to Jesus' brothers and sisters.<br /><br />From this we can only assume that Joseph and Mary stayed together and raised their family. Other than conjecture, I cannot really say.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I assumed you were talking about Joseph the carpenter, Jesus' stepfather. The Joseph referred to in Exodus was Jacob's youngest son, his biography appears in Genesis.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

MY impressed with aspek's reply here...<br /><br />whether he had siblings or not in no way<br />effects the power of his example.<br /><br />agnostic writings talking of this were banned from<br />the "bible" by elitist catholic church leaders...

spratt

Lieutenant

Sheepishly replying: I didn't even think about Ken referring to Jesus's father!!! I guess because he never really played a visible part of Jesus' life...DUH!!! So at least you now know what happened to Joseph in the old Testament:) Thanks guys, for covering for me;-)

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Bible is clear that Jesus had brothers and sisters, they aren't hidden in any way. The Epistle of James is generally assumed to have been written by Jesus' brother. Many things that were written at that time were not included in the Bible; and yes the church, as it existed then, did make those decisions. I'm not surprised that agnostic writings weren't included, I don't have them on my reading list very often either.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Sorry I didnt make it clear, I was talking about Jesus's stepfather.<br /><br />The internet is great, Here is proof of his family.<br /><br />Mark<br />Chapter 6<br />1 <br />He departed from there and came to his native place, 1 accompanied by his disciples. <br />2 <br />2 When the sabbath came he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were astonished. They said, "Where did this man get all this? What kind of wisdom has been given him? What mighty deeds are wrought by his hands! <br />3 <br />Is he not the carpenter, 3 the son of Mary, and the brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon? And are not his sisters here with us?" And they took offense at him.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello Ken.<br />Jesus was from the House of David which was part of the tribe of Judah.All priests in Israel were from the tribe of Levi and to be more exact from the house of Aaron.This priestly cast is called the cohanim.Melchizedek (english translation :king of justice)encountered Abraham but never was married into Israel and had nothing to do with the jewish priesthood.Baptism as described in the new testament was a symbolic purification rite for every jewish man and woman, but was adapted by the Essenes(dead sea scroll writers)to have a new meaning,a further means of purification.<br />The gospels,as we know them, were written at least 80 years and some even 150 years later than Jesus.Mark is the one that was first written.So we cannot really have a clear picture of their completeness.<br />Joseph ,after his dead was taken from egypt and buried in Hebron in the cave of Machpela with his forebears.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by rolmops:<br /><br />Joseph ,after his dead was taken from egypt and buried in Hebron in the cave of Machpela with his forebears.
Rol, you made the same mistake I did...assumed he meant Joseph of the old testament...he meant Jesus' Daddy...

mattttt25

Commander

highly recommend you guys reading holy blood, holy grail. i just started it. although it is perceived by strong christians as a slap in the face because of it's ideas, it is a thoroughly researched book. the authors simply present different ideas based on their studies. they don't try to discredit the bible, but just interpret it differently and use other reference books to explore their claims.

spratt

Lieutenant

Matt, it is probably good reading, but I will not read it because I truly believe that the Bible interprets itself, and needs no other writings or books to do it's interpretations. People might think I use the bible for my own interpretation, but that is totally untrue!! If I read a scripture, I know without a doubt that God backs His own word up, and there are other scriptures that will verify every other scripture. One thing I try my very best to not do is use conjecture to prove scripture. I REALLY like to show that the Bible has it's own verifications and checks and balances. It does!!