beware replacing penta prop in the water!!

mark loveys

Cadet
Last week I replaced the prop on Penta 270 whilst in the water. I was really pleased I'd managed to do it without taking her off her mooring onto her trailer.<br /><br />Unbeknown to me, when you do this there is a real risk that a plug of water left in the retaining bolt hole prevents you from tightening the bolt up properly. You FEEL as though it's as tight as it will go, but in reality it's only part way tightened up! This hydraulic plug is extremely effective!!<br /><br />The price I paid was second trip out it all worked loose. A mile out to sea I cut the engine and drifted so my kids could fish. Result - as soonas forward thrust wasn't present the prop dropped off (in 30' of water) and I was stuck with no way of getting back (the auxilliary decided to give up the ghost in sympathy).<br /><br />Lesson - be very careful if trying to replace a damaged prop in the water. Very careful!

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: beware replacing penta prop in the water!!

I have experienced the "hydraulic plug syndrome" many times. It is wise that you realized the true nature of your problem. Many would place blame elsewhere or not have figured out the root cause and repeat the same, over and over. <br /><br />This phenomenon happens often in woodworking...with drilled holes filled with glue for doweling, such as in chair and furniture repair, only the hydraulic pressure splits the wood....sometimes that expensive piece that your wife loved and you said was an easy fix.<br /><br />Thanks for the tip!!!!

mark loveys

Cadet
Re: beware replacing penta prop in the water!!

Thanks Bill - however I cannot take credit for the discovery. A friendly chandler tipped me off as I was paying £95 for replacment cone, lock nuts etc. Will have to make do with a tatty old prop for the rest of the season (the new one I lost cost me £160).<br /><br />An expensive lesson learned. I am now beginning to understand the old adage that boating is like 'standing under a cold shower tearing up £10 notes'!