Better Way ?

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All....<br />went fishin today on the boat,caught plenty of trout around 2 and 3 pounds. But, what i would like to ask is this. Is there any other methods that you use to land fish from the boat without just slinging the fish in the boat? Been useing net and hanging it over the side of boat to remove treble hooks, but seem to spend more time getting untangled lure out of net then catching the fish itself. Any suggestions or different way to prevent this trangled up mess would be very helpful. Would rather not bloody up carpet in boat if i dont have too. Help!!!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Better Way ?

Get one of theose hookfree nets that is made of coated nylon.<br /><br />Or get one of those rubber basket style nets. They are kindof shallow, but fine for 5# fish or smaller.<br /><br />Replace or cut off some of the treble hooks. Making most of the hooks single hooks, with a double or treble hook on the rear of the lure.<br /><br />Here is a picture of a rubber net. click

CATransplant

Admiral

Ditto on the rubber net. That's the ideal thing. There are even some deeper ones available that won't catch hooks. Pricey, though.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Been there 4poco.<br /><br />The rubberized nets are better, but when the fish in the net is a 20+lb esox it can be downright dangerous.<br /><br />I now prefer those fish lip grabber things that cost like they were made of unobtainium. Gotta play the fish down a bit more, but unhook and release (or fishbox) are a lot quicker and a lot safer for the fisherman.