betsy ross

crab bait

Captain
i took a train up to philadelphia yesterday.. it was very cold ..an i'm a cold nature & urban hiker.. <br /><br />had breakfast at the reading terminal ( one of my favorite places ) .. food/cuisine from world over.. an many amish , produce, cheese, an butcher shops..<br /><br />walked down to old city.. first stop was the liberty bell.. seen it a 100 times but no lines to wait.. an went on in.. <br /><br />then independence hall an caught the tour straight away.. never tire of that tour..<br /><br />my main destination was the constitution center.. it's vertuely brand new.. an would rival anything in DC.. many hand-on / push button/ listening phone stuff.. it's really great.. but yet to take it al in.. but stopped at the new vistors center an got side-tracked by the info givers..<br /><br />told me about the new military museum.. good to see.. then to historic Elfreth's alley..a tiny cobble stone street in old city exactly how it was.. the little colonial houses are really neet.. many are open an a 'period actor' is there to talk to..<br /><br />from there a few blocks away to besty ross's house.. an a self guided headphone tour.. <br /><br />besty was a remarkable women..to say the least..<br /><br />she apprenticed as a teen in upholstering..which was rare for a women to be an apprentice.. when she 'topped' out,, she married an upholster shop keeper.. ( prosper matched in heaven)..<br /><br />he died 3 years later an remarried.. short time ,he fought for independence,, captured by the british,, died in prison..<br /><br />betsy ran her shop alone but in times of war,, upholstering was backburned.. eventho philly was the colonies main furnature hub at that time.. <br /><br />one day,, come thru her shop doors was 3 men.. two being geo washington an the other robert morris the financer of the revolution..asked betsy to make a flag.. <br /><br />she said she never has ,, but will try.. <br /><br />she saw the design they wanted an quickly said that there 6 sided star was wrong an should be 5 sided..<br /><br />the 3 men said it would be easier to make a 6 sided star.. betsy said nonsense.. <br /><br />she studied eastern origamy for her upholster trade .. took some white cloth folded it this away & that.. took scissors an alittle snip .. VILA,, a 5 sided star..<br /><br />besty was a Quaker an never got credit in er life time for the first flag of the USA.. for she didn't want any.. an if'n the british found out,, she'd be hung for treason..<br /><br />it wasn't untill 1870 was her greatgrandson spoke of her at congress..<br /><br />betsy died in 1834 at age 84.. totally blind .. but said to have been happy an quaker faithful..<br /><br />was gettin' late.. had to run to catch the last train to back home..<br /><br />it was a good day..

aspeck

Staff member
Re: betsy ross

Thanks for the history lesson, and Philly info. Has been a while since I have been there, makes we want to get there for a visit when I get stateside. Sounds like a day trip to me!

crab bait

Captain

there is also a free tour of city hall .. an get to go up the elevator to the william penn on the dome.. where there ,,on a clear day see nyc..<br /><br />also ,, across the street ( north side on broad ) is a masonic temple.. looks like a cathedral.. free tours every hour on the hour.. <br /><br />not to be missed.. never seen so much gold..!!

aspeck

Staff member

Hey Crabby, want to be our tour guide? We will pay for all the free stuff for ya! How bout that for a deal?!?

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Crab! It's been a while since you last gave us a history lesson :) ...always appreciated.

crab bait

Captain

sounds like a good deal.. anytime..!! the only thing better than'free'stuff is stuff ya don't havta pay for .. <br /><br />i'll meet you at the amish breakfast place in the southwest corner of the reading terminal at 10 am.. blue berry hotcakes to cry for..!!<br /><br />it's a good long day of fun..

aspeck

Staff member

Alright Crabby, sometime over the summer we will get together for the tour. Once I get home and see what the summer schedule is, I will give you a holler. Blueberry hotcakes on me!