Best way to transport a 4 stroke engine

squidwood

Cadet
Hi, I have always used 2 stroke outboards but have recently purchased a 2002 Suzuki 4hp 4 stroke.

My problem is that I have to lay it down in my car to transport it, can this be done safely with no harm to the engine or should I build a bracket to keep it upright?

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best way to transport a 4 stroke engine

You read the owners manual or look for a label on the engine that tells you which side to lay the motor on. Or call a Suzuki dealer.

squidwood

Cadet

In the manual it mentions about draining the oil!! to lay it down, shorley this doesnt have to be done everytime I want to take it somewhere?

thanks

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I`ve had many different kind of outboards and never drain the oil when transporting, I usually lay it down on the right side if you were to look at it from the front. I would do as Silvertip has mentioned and contact Suzuki dealer and see what they have to say.

axolotl

Cadet

Not sure about your Suzi model.
My 2009 2.5Hp Suzi, needs to be laid on its side, on its tiller handle, for the engine oil not to bathe the engine internals... Take a closer look at the manual

squidwood

Cadet

Hi, thanks for your input, there is a sticker that says 'this side up for transportation' and I also made a small stand to clamp the engine to while i transport it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Many engines also have a couple of black raised pads on the "down" side. These pads don't appear on the other side and should serve as a pointer as to which side is up.