Best way to mount a bilge pump?

BigK75

Cadet
I bought a automatic bilge pump(plastic) and now I want to mount. I am afraid if I use screws I will go through the hull. Does anyone have any clever ideas on how to mount this bilge pump????<br /><br />Thanks, <br /><br />Claude

suzuki115

Seaman
Re: Best way to mount a bilge pump?

Assuming that your pump has the plastic base basket that the pump attaches to, I used 2-part 5 minute epoxy to glue the base to the botton of the bilge. Clean and roughin up the area in the bilge you are going to glue the base to, and clean and roughin up the plastic base before applying the epoxy.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

I was going to mention glue also. A silicone based product might work well too. I used some silicone sealer (essentially caulk) I had on hand and it seems to be holding well after a couple of years. There's not a lot of force or pressure involved, assuming the pump isn't constantly being bumped, so a lot of holding power is not needed generally. Another idea is to find or cobble together a strap/bracket that would mount on a vertical surface and hold the pump. Simplest version I've seen is just screw a large hose clamp or two to the vertical surface and use it to hold the pump.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Try mounting it to a piece of 90 degree angled stainless steel plate and screwing it into a stringer or bulkhead, in this way you never drill or screw into the hull proper.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Rule bilge pump, that I removed the strainer on the bottom, and used 4200 to "glue" it in place. Just make sure you let it cure before you put the pump bake in it.

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class

something I do with all my bilge pumps is to put them in a bag made of fiberglass window screen before I mount them. Run the hose and wires together and close with a plastic tie. This keeps a lot of junk out of the pump and you can still clean or change them easily. I almost sank a boat in a bad storm because a little piece of plastic locked up my bilge pump. Made it to shallow water just as it was going down.

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ddaigle <br /><br />that sounds like a prize tip! thx!!

Bondo

Staff member

My pumps are mounted on a piece of SSteel, about 5"s square.......<br />They just Sit in the bilge....<br />The weight of the plate keeps them from Floating....<br />When Servicing is needed, I just pull up on the hose,+ the pump comes with it.......<br />When done, just snake it back down into the bilge.................. ;)

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Remember to to point float to stern of boat,this helps to prevent garbage in the bilge from getting jammed in float,causing it to stay on.<br /><br /> :DJim

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would like to point out some useful links regarding bilge pumps. Maybe of help. I used the information to completely upgrade my bilge pump system (new wiring, new larger pump, new floats and a switch featuring auto and manual position). I would like to emphasize the auto feature. It can save your boat, even at the dock.<br /><br />First link: http://www.marinesurvey.com/yacht/bilge_pumps.htm <br /><br />Second link:<br /> http://www.uaf.edu/seagrant/boatkeeper/bilge-pumps.pdf <br /><br />Finally, this is a pic of the wiring diagram that came with my new Rule pump:<br /><br /> http://mipagina.cantv.net/kesh/rule/rule auto-manual diagram.jpg