Best way to cover my 6x9 speaker holes

chrisf695

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking to cover the speaker holes, would some 1/8 inch starboard do the job? And just screw them in or using some 4200 as a glue to just seal them up?

speakerbowcover.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Best way to cover my 6x9 speaker holes

4200 will not stick to or seal starboard... there are exotic glues that will but they are quite pricey

you could cover with about anything but you'll have to tell us if it needs to be sealed..IE what's under it?

EvstaG

Seaman Apprentice

What about some brand new 6x9 speakers? Lol

If it was me (and I'm sure there are dozens of other equally valid answers, and probably some which are better) I'd get some 1/8 fiberglass sheet (McMaster sells it, there are other sources as well). I'd cut out a rectangle from the sheet, radius the corners, and spend a little time sanding it so it will look somewhat decent when painted. Then I'd install it with some round head stainless screws, with a bead of door/window polyurethane caulk to seal it (this isn't going to be submersed so the exterior polyurethane caulk will be more than adequate).

UncleWillie

Captain

I would just leave the speakers in place. Or at least leave the grills.
When making a repair like that; the idea is that when you are finished it should not look like a repair,
It should look like intended for it to look like that.

Do a fiberglass and gel coat job to make it disappear, or install dummy speaker grills that no one but you will know are not operable.
That area usually can benefit from the extra ventilation through the grillwork anyway.

C.O.L.

Seaman Apprentice

I was thinking some new 6x9 speakers would cover those holes perfectly

chrisf695

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well... I bought new speakers... but they are 6.5's and they are going up high for better sound. I found some 1/8 inch pvc for sale at a plastics company down the road. Ill just cover them much with this and use the same screw holes so Im not making any new holes in the fiberglass... except for the new speaker holes up top. Ill mess with it again next year... I have enough to get ready...

speakerbow.jpg