Best way to clean a hull?

torpedoseal

Cadet
I bought a 1996 mirage 18ft boat that was a rental craft used exclusively in fresh water for 8-9 years. During that time I am told that it was never taken out of the water. It has a thick layer of a whitsh/chalk-like film every where below the water line. I'd like to get it off because I know it's eating MPH and MPG. I tried a heavy duty rubbing compound and a buffing wheel but that's working extreeemly slow. CLR and lime away arent doing it either.<br /> I know someone out there has had to have fought this battle before. What have you guys found that removes that crud?

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Best way to clean a hull?

Most commercial hull cleaners contain one or more acids. Typically hydrochloric or muriatic acid. Many can be sprayed or brushed on and are thickened to reduce run-off on vertical surfaces. Be sure to read the safety precautions specified by the manufacturer. You'll likely want to polish & wax the hull after cleaning it to slow down future film accumulation.<br /><br />There are alternatives to acid cleaners as well. Of course iboats megamall has a few of either to choose from: Hull Cleaners