Best Way to Change Lower Unit Oil (7.5 Hp Ted Williams)

Status
Not open for further replies.

proaudio12

Cadet
I have a 7.5 Hp Sears Ted Williams and wanted to change the oil in the gearbox. There is a fill hole on top and a vent hole on the bottom. I tried to get some oil in through the top fill hole but I just could not get it to go in. I even tried using some tubing to get it in but I think I spilled 90% of the oil. I also tilted the engine but still no luck. Any suggestions?

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Best Way to Change Lower Unit Oil (7.5 Hp Ted Williams)

You fill them from the bottom. The vent hole is actually the top hole. It is so you don't get an air pocket. Just fill from the bottom until it starts coming out the top hole.

proaudio12

Cadet

Does that 7.5 hp have the same size fill hole of a standard oil pump. Seems like such a small engine.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

A model number would help identify what builder made the motor.

proaudio12

Cadet

Model Number is 217.5888. I believe it is an early 70's model.

rnds76b

Cadet
I know that this is a wicked old thread, but I just tried to change the lower gear oil in my Sears Ted Williams 7.5 and it won't take oil...squeezed the dickens out of the tube the oil comes in, but it wouldn't take any...and, I've changed lower gear oil in my Johnson 25hp many times, so I do know how to do it. I hadn't run the motor in years, so rebuilt the carb and it runs like a top. Obviously, don't want to run it any more until I can verify that I've got oil in that lower gearbox. Am assuming that the small hole (that points downward) at the top of the lower shaft is the vent hole mentioned above. Any suggestions? Perhaps run a wire down through the vent hole to unclog anything that might have lodged in there over the years?

rnds76b

Cadet
Also, does anyone happen to know if there are any significant differences between a 217.5888-1 and a 217.5888-0 motor? Although I have a 5888-1, the only manual I can find is for a -0.

Status
Not open for further replies.