best wax or compound for heavily oxidized hull

jpv

Seaman Apprentice
I am trying to bring a 1985 Wellcraft back to life. The hull and topside are heavily oxidized.....What is the best wax or compound to get that hull shining again? And what procedure would you use with what ever wax you might suggest?

thank you

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer
Re: best wax or compound for heavily oxidized hull

Check the boat restoration forum. There are tons of answers to this. I've had good luck with Meguairs compound and a buffer. Lots of guys like the 3M stuff. It's probably all good. Get a cheap buffer and go to town.

scipper77

Commander

from what I've picked up the best thing is to wet sand to remove the oxidation and then use a polishing compound to get the surface finish to shine again. Wax won't remove oxidation and most cleaner wax type buffing compounds aren't aggressive enough to remove significant oxidation.

Paul Ryan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Working my finish also. #1: I wet sanded with a wet/dry paper 2000 grit. Go light pressure. Let the paper do the work and keep is wet. Dont sand alot. You dont want to go through the gel, but just get the ox off. #2: Use a cheap buffer from walmart installed on my 1/2 drill. 3M Polish. Two foot sections. Light pressure and keep moving. Dont be stingy with the polish but don't want to make a mess either. Let that dry. Buff off with dry cloth. I went to the dollar store and loaded up on dish n hand towels. If you still see swrill marks from the wet sand, polish again. #3: 3m Wax. Changed to a new buffer. 2 foot section, Light pressure and keep moving. Let dry and buff off. I had a 6 inch wide "PINK" stripe on my boat. I now have a great looking shinny RED stripe!!! For heavy Ox a "all in one" wont do it. The three steps take time, but my stripe looks great and I'm looking foward to getting the rest done!