Best tube to pull with a 15hp Johnson 2-stroke?

JanKsterS

Cadet
I have a 14ft aluminum side console bass boat with a 15hp johnson 2-stroke on the back. I bought a tube to pull my girl around on, it is rated for 170lb max. The tube planes out nice for her and we can zoom around and have fun. When I get on the tube (all 205lbs of me) it will not plane out. I know more HP is the simple answer, but my lake is restricted, so I want to know what you guys think is going to work best for me.

My first thoughts were the less surface area contacting the water, the less drag, and the higher chance of me planing out while on it. Now I am thinking either a tube with more surface area will distribute my weight better and allow me to plane out, or a more hydrodynamic tube could work better.

What are your thoughts? If your answer is more HP, don't answer. I am looking for the advice to have the best possible chance of planing the tube out by tube selection alone.

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Best tube to pull with a 15hp Johnson 2-stroke?

It's a bit of a catch 22, and I don't know what will work. You don't have the horsepower to pull an 200lbs adult, but increasing the surface area will greatly increase the drag. Perhaps something with a seated-style delta would work better since it would place the weight at the back, allowing the front to help with planing. Keeping it at maximum inflated air pressure would be the first thing to check.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A wet tube has so much surface area... Sort of gets sucked down before planning, so agree with above. A rigid planning surface like a aqua plane or large disk might work. Think size about like 1/2 sheet of plywood.

With your tube, inflating it so it is really full/more firm will help.

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Purchase a flat or saucer type tube that is a minimum of a 3-person. It must be rated for the proper weight. If you are 205 lbs then you need at a minimum a tube that can accommodate your weight. Please refrain from buying a tube with a hole in the middle or any tube that would collect water etc. The rope or front of the tube should not drag in the water.....try purchasing a booster ball to go on the tow rope to help if the tube is diving. Of course...I will refrain from saying you need increased HP because you said not to bring that up. Good luck, be safe and have fun. :)

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was thinking one of those long hot dog looking ones might be best. I have never pulled one though. I just think, with no engineering background, that the long center drag would be easier to get moving than a wide drag from a flat tube.

lx.crowell

Seaman Apprentice

I would try a lower pitch prop you'll lose top end speed but will gain more pulling power on your hole shot, also make sure your tube is inflated or find the smallest lightest tube that is rated for your wieght. Thats just my 2 cents worth

Last edited: