best towing vehicle

J Macnab

Cadet
what is the best towing vehicle for a boat and trailer weighing around 5,250 lbs that is around 20,000 dollars. any help will be apreciated. thanks

tommays

Admiral
Re: best towing vehicle

In the lower price range i think you will be limited to the pickup truck of your likeing<br /><br />Read up on the rateings as most of the base Models MAX out at 5000# (like the chevy with a 4.3) and need a bigger motor/different gear ratio to pull higher loads<br /><br /><br />tommays

scubatrooper

Seaman

My Nissan Titan with the big tow package is rated to tow 9300 lbs. I tow a boat weighing about 4200 lbs. and it's like nothing is back there. The cabin is 126 sq ft (crew cab) so it has lots of space. The engone is a 32 valve DOHC V-8 rated at 305 hp and 379 ft/lb of torque. It tows quite nicely.<br /><br />My previous truck was a 2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab rated to tow 5200 lbs. and it did a good job too. The only reason we traded was to have more interior space and we hope to buy a travel trailer sometime soon and needed more towing capacity. I think the new Dakota (properly equiped) is rated to tow over 7000 lbs. Not bad for a "mid" size truck. The 4.7 SOHC V-8 we had in the Dakota was a workhorse and did a fine job towing the boat down to Missouri and back for vacation last summer. <br /><br />If $20,000 is your budget I'm sure there are some really nice pre-owned trucks out there that are rated to tow what you need. Trailerboats.com has some good resources to check out. One is the tow guide here Tow Guide. I would definitly check out the Dodge Dakota. It was a good truck with decent interior space and served my towing needs well. Good luck!<br /> <br />Steve

J Macnab

Cadet

thanks guy i will be sure to take this into consideration

Belchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Might be able to get a good Chevy for around $20000. I got a 2001 Z71 Chevy Ext Cab, with 4.10 Rear end. Rated to tow 9500lbs. And I have no complaints about the way it works, pulling my 5000lbs boat.<br /><br />Belchy

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

There are plenty of low-mileage/late-model trucks in the 20k range. Take your pick.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

A lot of very nice tahoes, suburbans, excursions and expeditions for that money. Only a few years old with low miles. With gas prices dealers are having a hard time moving these big gas hogs. So shop around and low ball the price till you find someone who really wants to sell.