Best tow speed for waterskiing?

Triton II

Commander
My little brother has just arrived from the UK so we decided to take him out on the boat for a spot of water-skiing. He’s tried before and got up but looked terrible… almost bent over double with his arms bouncing (from the waves/wash crossings) straight out in front (he listened to the “keep your arms straight at all times” lecture). This time he got up first hit and after settling down he started to straighten his back and looked almost normal. He hung on as if his life depended on it and managed 20 minutes without falling even though it was pretty rough. We were doing between 15 and 20 knots, he was skiing using a pair of 67” combo skis. My question is:<br />Is this the best speed or should I go a little faster to give him more stability or slower to help make the turns easier?<br />Apologies if this question has been answered before but I did a search and found nothing.

tylerin

Commander
Re: Best tow speed for waterskiing?

I ski 32 mph. My buddies prefer 27 or so. I don't know the competition speed used. My son wakeboards at about 15mph. Wakeboarding requires less speed. Your brother needs to lean back a bit more.

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I got a pair of skis on I like low twenty's keep the wake some what large and I enjoy jumping it. Salmon around 30. With new skiers, I found patience is needed the most. Had a budy who after 2 hours of trying just gave up, and declared water sports where not for him.

Triton II

Commander

Thanks, I'll try going a bit faster next time (maybe up to 25kts) and suggest he leans back a bit more. I'd love to get him comfortable on two skis then try to get him up on one.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

30 MPH= 26 Knots. <br /> If the water is rough I ski about 27 mph. If its like glass I ski between 33 and 35 mph. Hope this helps.<br />Bassy

Triton II

Commander

Great info, thanks. He's pretty good at staying up on two but it'd be nice to get him out really early when it's glassy... trouble is he's a party animal on holiday so getting him up in time before the glass disappears is a tough call! :rolleyes:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

To Boating Activities.