Best Replacement Controls for '79 Merc 1150

jackyack18

Cadet
First post, excuse me if its in the wrong place. I recently bought a project boat and most of my 1,000,000 questions have already been answered by iboats but I searched and searched for questions pertaining control boxes. I wanted to ask before spending around 300/400 dollars for a new unit and control cables. The older unit has some major wear and shifting into gear takes a little muscle, while the throttle is very choppy and wants to stick. The ignition in control was already shot to hell so I had to rewire a new one which will be installed into the dash, but my question is does it matter what controls to buy? What are the best controls for this mercury 1150? I was looking at a single lever control that will take care of shifting and throttle at the same time either the teleflex or quicksilver. Any advice would be much appreciated! My real question is are these controls universal?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best Replacement Controls for '79 Merc 1150

If you choose one for Mercury you should not have a problem. I am using the original controls off my '77 Merc 1500 for my '93 Merc 135V6.

jackyack18

Cadet
Re: Best Replacement Controls for '79 Merc 1150

Thanks for your input Chris, but I just found a great price on a brand new side mount control I couldn't pass up, so i'll prob rig something up and make it work, let you know how it pans out! As a 22 yr. old and his first boat for 100 bucks this restoration project of mine is going pretty good!! I'll post pics of when im done!!