best protectant for marine vinyl

best protectant for marine vinyl

• Total voters

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class
people with experience please help with the poll ,i forgot to add Mr. Clean Magic Erasers if the mods would do it it would be great

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: best protectant for marine vinyl

I really don't think the magic erasers classify as a vinyl protectant as much as they are a cleaner for the more stubborn stains and should probably be used sparingly as they are somewhat abrasive. I've used the 303 prior to owning a boat on the tonneau cover on my truck for years and have had great luck, it looks like new, so that's what I use on my 32 year old vinyl in my boat.

Brewman61

Ensign

In the same vein as the Magic Erasers, Spray 9 is a cleaner.

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've had very good luck with the meguires cleaner/protectant its the only one I've found locally besides household stuff.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I like Clorox Clean-up for the vinyl (to clean it).

Why am I the only person that has never had any luck with the Mr. Clean erasers on vinyl seats? They work amazingly well on gel coat, but nothing...ever...on the vinyl. The Clorox clean-up has removed every stain I put it on.

Don't use Armor All on the vinyl. When exposed to the sun, the petroleum in it makes the vinyl brittle very quickly and you'll get a new interior shortly thereafter.

The 303 is a good protectant.

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

That Clorox cleanup is a heck of a cleaner (or maybe I'm just not cleaner-educated). My boat had faint black dots all over the deck and hatch lids and I had scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed numerous times and they wouldn't come off at all. Wasn't a huge deal to me since it's a boat and not a Hummel figurine. Went out last Sunday to try a rust stain with the Clorox cleanup, sprayed it and came back after five minutes. Didn't clean the rust but the black stuff was gone. I sprayed nearly the entire inside of the boat, let it sit for a few mins, and every last micron of the black stuff that's been on the boat for years rinsed right off without me even touching it with a cloth or scrubber. Hatch covers that I thought were stained are now as white as the day they were installed and the whole boat looks nearly brand new.

This happened last weekend and I'm still pretty excited about it, had to share.

-E

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I used McGuires and it worked well but I still wasn't completely impressed. I have red spots on my white vinyl that I have tried quite a few things on them and they still don't come off.

I REALLY had to scrub pretty good to get my white vinyl clean with the McGuires and the seats aren't that old.

I will try that clorox clean-up on the red stains and see if that works. I sure hope it does because that is my only complain on the interior of my boat.

mtrainTurbo

Seaman

In the interest of full disclosure, i used to be a boat detailer.

The best cleaner, when used with care, is:

Bucket of warm soapy water
Spray bottle of Spray Nine
Medium-coarse scrub brush
Magic Erasers
Clean towels
303 Protectant

Soak the seats one vinyl panel at a time. Scrub with the brush first to get loose dirt off. Spray down with S9 cleaner. Scrub again. Wet the Magic Eraser in the soapy water, and go over the seat. Rinse, dry with towels, and spray the 303. Buff and wipe.

Repeat with remaining vinyl panels.

Doing this will result in spectacularly clean seats, and they will be protected. Clean and protect the seats at least twice a year for optimum life.

ChampionShip

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ditto to 303. Non-petroleum based is what you want.

Sounds like 303 is the magic. What is the full name, and where do you get it.

I just bought a boat and the interior really needs cleaning. It has little black dots that I am assuming is mold?

mtrainTurbo

Seaman

Sounds like 303 is the magic. What is the full name, and where do you get it.

I just bought a boat and the interior really needs cleaning. It has little black dots that I am assuming is mold?

Yeah, probably, which is why you want to use Spray Nine. It specifically kills mold. The scrub brush and Magic Eraser will scour the vinyl as gently as possible.

Here's the link for 303's products:

http://www.303products.com/

The cleaning and 303 procedure is how I kept my 1986 Bayliner bowrider's interior all original at 22 years old.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In the interest of full disclosure, i used to be a boat detailer.

The best cleaner, when used with care, is:

Bucket of warm soapy water
Spray bottle of Spray Nine
Medium-coarse scrub brush
Magic Erasers
Clean towels
303 Protectant

Soak the seats one vinyl panel at a time. Scrub with the brush first to get loose dirt off. Spray down with S9 cleaner. Scrub again. Wet the Magic Eraser in the soapy water, and go over the seat. Rinse, dry with towels, and spray the 303. Buff and wipe.

Repeat with remaining vinyl panels.

Doing this will result in spectacularly clean seats, and they will be protected. Clean and protect the seats at least twice a year for optimum life.

+1 on how the former detailer does it.....

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Don't use Armor All on the vinyl. When exposed to the sun, the petroleum in it makes the vinyl brittle very quickly and you'll get a new interior shortly thereafter.

Sorry, but that doesn't hold water, at least according to my boat's upholstery. It is a 1985 and has had Armor All applied after nearly every outing. The vinyl is still as soft and crack free as the day it was new.

Attachments

• boat 018.jpg
    boat 018.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0

mtrainTurbo

Seaman

Sorry, but that doesn't hold water, at least according to my boat's upholstery. It is a 1985 and has had Armor All applied after nearly every outing. The vinyl is still as soft and crack free as the day it was new.

COnsider yourself lucky. I wouldn't keep doing it. Cars or boats, the advice is universal: If you want it to last, don't use Armor All.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Odd....My 4 wheeled vehicles are an '87, '89, '90', and '94. I have used Armorall on all of them for years and have no cracks in the vinyl or plastic....I have often heard this tale of Armorall causing damage, but have never experienced it. I actually find it hard to believe the product would have been on the market for 30+ years if it caused more harm than good.

I even spray the bellows on my boat after I pull out of the a water. They were last replaced in 1996.

Captain Ben

Seaman

Spray 9 is great for mold and day to day cleaning (i spray after each use, before covering).

I have oil stains on my vinyl (boat sank, oil got out of engine, and marinated the vinyl). Any experience in what would remove the oil the best? I heard Purple Power works wonders.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Spray 9 is great for mold and day to day cleaning (i spray after each use, before covering).

I have oil stains on my vinyl (boat sank, oil got out of engine, and marinated the vinyl). Any experience in what would remove the oil the best? I heard Purple Power works wonders.

give the hand cleaner 'Gojo' a try on the oil stains...it works in the laundry as well

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

well.... did it work ???....you were the guinea pig ... :D lol I am an automobile mehanic, and I am amazed at what it gets off of my skin...I haven't yet (knock on wood) had to remove motor oil from vinyl on my boat.....praying I never have to either ! ...Let us know if it worked...

Captain Ben

Seaman

I did a trial area with mixed results (older vinyl, hard to tell what it's best form is) I will take a real run at it on Sunday.