Best Prop for my johnson 115???

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman
hey i just got a boat and motor (1979 johnson 115) and the guy we got it from put a diff prop on it and it only takes my boat like 30mph and its a 1,100 lbs bass boat so i think it should be a lil faster and i think he put wrong prop on there. anyways can someone tell me or send me link to a high performance prop cause i want to go fast and pull peeps on tubes and stuff so what prop is best?? :confused: ? HELP!!!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best Prop for my johnson 115???

You are looking for two props. One for top end with a given load and one for skiing / tubing etc. <br /><br />Start by telling us more about your set up. Top rpm's now, if you have a jackplate, what brand / type prop, GPS top speed, water pressure and if you have a stock gearcase or a nosecone and low water pick up.<br /><br />You should be running 87 octane FRESH fuel, good oil at 50:1 and Champion plugs.<br /><br />Good luck!

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman

well do they make props that can do both??<br />ok like i said im new to this so let me sound stupid for one second i have no idea what a jackplate,dont know what type of prop, dont know gps top speed,nor do i knowanything else that u asked expect that the rpm is 4,000 at full throttle, if u tell me where to look i could find out all that info. this is my first outboard that ive used and ive had it for a week so im lost

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

SS, After you read about props get back with<br /> your info.Prop size,present Max rpm, reccomended max rpm, present max.speed. Do you know if your motor is in top tune and condition?<br />Imagine your prop is one gear in a transmission.<br /> Low gear gives you lots of power but little<br />top speed,high gear gives you top speed but little<br />power.With props you can only select one gear at a time.<br />There are props that shift,they give tremendous<br />hole shot(acceleration) and top speed but they cost somewhere around $1,000.

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman

ok let me sound more like an idiot :D ok heres what i know bout the setup(havent read the free book yet) the motor is a 1979 115hp johnson sea horse i read the RPM is supposed to be between 5,000-5,500 right now its topping out at 4,000 rpm and bout 33mph, its pushing a light bass boat (1,200lbs max)all know off hand bout prop is how many blades lol its in the garage and theres a big storm going on now. also my comp wont let me go to the free book site i dont know why is there another site like that one?? so from my crappy info can ne one tell me anything???<br /><br />oh and i dont know when my motor was last loked over i just got it but its in pretty good condition and starts right up runs real good so i dont think its my motor <br /><br />and can someone give me a link to a site the sells props??<br />thanxs

Hooty

Rear Admiral

These guys are real helpful. <br /><br /> Props <br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

ob

Admiral

At this point we have to assume that your engine is operating fine and is simply overpropped.Try looking to see if there are any numbers or markings on the existing prop hub that will help us determine the diameter and pitch of the one currently on motor.Not knowing the make or exact length of the boat this motor is on makes it diffcult to give any specific recommendations as to what prop would be best to start with if indeed we are chasing an overprop problem.Try to obtain the prop info and post back.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

The free book can be browsed from the link given. If you need to download the thing and read/print it offline, there's a link to another download site which you can also access directly here: dk.homepage.dk