Best place to look for a used boat in CA

NedM

Cadet
Craigs List? eBay? Boattrader.com? iBoats? Local dealer? All of the above? Is there a place that most people go? like some sort of insiders place to find deals on boats? Craigs List seems to have the most boats listed, but always afraid of scams there.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Best place to look for a used boat in CA

I like craigslist the best of the one's you listed- at least that's the one I used when I bought my boat last month. I don't believe you need to worry about a scam if you are buying the boat from a person with a real house/car/family/etc. You can check the pink slip to see if the address and name are correct. The only scam I've hit personally was a very cheap SUV. Sure enough, when I answered the ad, the answer came back that the car was actually on the East Coast, but if I sent the money, they had a very good car transport lined up to bring it to me...Oh Yeah, couldn't delete that answer fast enough.

Boat Trader or iBoats could have given me more choice, but I didn't want to look at any boats more than 100 miles away from me.

foodfisher

Captain

All of the above. Best deals can be had on C's list but be sure you know what you're looking at. Patience and a full gas tank (car/truck) are helpful.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have bought a few things on craigslist including my boat and actually think that you will find better deals more often on CL. Use your gut on scammers, if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

cr2k

Captain

Also try copart.com