Best oil for Yamaha 90HP 2-Stroke Oil Injected???

rodriesp

Cadet
Hi, I'm writing to see if you could give me an idea of the best oil for using in my Yamaha 90AETO (2-Stroke oil injected). I've been using Yamalube and Mercury TCW-3 oil, but now I got a good price on an Evinrude XD-50 Oil, which is Synthetic Blend. Is this Blend Oil, better than a Mercury, which I guess it is a premium mineral? Would you recommend me starting to use a Synthetic Blend Oil?
Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Best oil for Yamaha 90HP 2-Stroke Oil Injected???

The most significant difference you would note in your Yammy 90 would be the weight of your pocketbook.

Set aside marketing hype (and cost) any TC-W3 oil will work fine, petro oils are far less expensive; synthetic oils will smoke less, leave less deposits (carbon), pollute less and stink less. There might be measurable differences after many years of use. Blends will be somewhere between.

For DFI engines, it is usually a good idea to use TC-W3 oils blended for DFI use, but your carbed Yammy has modest needs.

robert graham

Admiral

LOTS of opinions on this subject...but most any TC-W3 should work fine, either straight petroleum, synthetic blend or 100% synthetic. That said, I use the Pennzoil 100% Synthetic in my 1999 Yamaha C90 2 stroke and it seems to smoke less and produce very little carbon. I also use the Ringfree and Stabil all the time. Maybe it's overkill or just good preventive maintenance, but I really like my motor to run like a new one, everytime we're on the river! So far, so good!;)

Ldavidgrover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOTS of opinions on this subject...but most any TC-W3 should work fine, either straight petroleum, synthetic blend or 100% synthetic. That said, I use the Pennzoil 100% Synthetic in my 1999 Yamaha C90 2 stroke and it seems to smoke less and produce very little carbon. I also use the Ringfree and Stabil all the time. Maybe it's overkill or just good preventive maintenance, but I really like my motor to run like a new one, everytime we're on the river! So far, so good!;)

Stick with the Yamalube and dont mix 2 differnt oils as they will gel