Best method to secure bunk carpet to wood?

jadssh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Going to replace mine for the first time. Any ideas on what is the best way to secure it. would be. Staples, screws, etc????? Thanks for the help. John

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Best method to secure bunk carpet to wood?

I use carriage head bolts with nylon locking nuts then carpet over them...
Just don't trust lag bolts.
Stainless staples for the carpet.

jadssh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry guy's, had a brain malfunction. I didn't see the related posts regarding my question until after I posted this one. Sorry for the inconvenience. You can remove this post if need be. Again sorry. John

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

Carpet wraps from the backside over the front side (boat side) and back to backside (I know obvious) and staple on the backside with stainless steel staples. Staple both the beginning and end to get a nice tight fit. Me, I'd also use stainless screws and fender washers nicely centered on the bunk and spaced at 12" centers for a clean secure look.

jadssh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Gary, that's exactly what I will do. John

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I glued my carpet down to the bunks also. Just a light spray of adhesive and then pulled it tight and stapled it. I did the glue thing because when i took mine off it seemed to be that way already. I have launched a few times since then, and the carpet is nice and tight, no sags or bunching anywhere.

for bolts, I used carriage bolts and countersunk the heads. Then, I pounded the square shoulder below the head into the bolthole to keep the head from turning. so basically, the carpet is flush across the countersink and the bolthead, and it wont turn while you are tightening the nut. I used lockwashers but i would recommend nylon locknuts next time, some of mine rattled loose on the first trip from settling and stuff.

janpetemar

Cadet

It seemed like a lot of work in the beginning but the results have lasted to five seasons without any sign of wear or seperation. Put in the carraige bolts, sinking the heads to match the wood surface. Used gorilla glue on the carpet backing. Took fishing line and sewed the carpet joints on the bottom side of the rail. Used S.S. washers, locknuts,and bolts to secure to the trailer. :):)