Best houseboat lake?

It appears there are a lot of lakes represented on this forum. What lake do you think is best for year-around houseboating? And why?<br />We have been to a few houseboat lakes but with retirement quickly approaching the more ideas the better.<br /><br />Thanks. :cool:

tylerin

Commander
Re: Best houseboat lake?

I like Powell, and Lake Shasta. I like the lakes where you need a compass and can lose yourself for a week or so

LadyFish

Admiral

Since I see your a fellow Texan I might suggest Lake Texoma. A great fishing lake for striped bass and Lake Travis in Austin is beautiful too, not sure about the fishing there but Hippy Hollow sure is fun. :p ;)

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Lake Shasta and Lake Orville in No. CA.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Lake Cumberland, KY, and Dale Hollow (on the KY/TN border) are two good ones! I haven't been to Dale Hollow, but friends 'rave' about it.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Dale Hollow in Celina, Tn.<br />Just go to Horse Creek Marina and see Jack Huddleston, he will fix you up.<br /><br />Go there ever December to fish the annual Billy Westmorland small mouth tournament.

gaugeguy

Captain

Never seen more houseboats in my life as I saw on Lake Havasu AZ. I enjoyed the lake for what I was doing (skiing), but it sure did look like the houseboaters were enjoying it as well.

tylerin

Commander

I don't know how you got that name, but around here, I'm the horseshoe king ;)

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by tylerin:<br />I don't know how you got that name, but around here, I'm the horseshoe king ;)
Tylerin, Cerealdude, and now Horseshoe king? Sounds like a case of multiple personalities to me!! How about we just call you Sybill? :D

tylerin

Commander

What did he say.....I don't know...........Its none of your busness........Shut up :D Oh the battles within ;)

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are thinking Florida as a retirement venue, then Lake Okeechobee is the biggest in the state. I think you can motor all the way to Kissimmee and Disney World from there.

Thanks for the replys. We have been to Powell, Mead, Havasu, Mohave and Travis. We have not checked out Texoma yet. We will probably go up there this summer some time.<br /><br />As far as horseshoeking, I was undefeated in 2004 up until last week. I think it might have been the beer but I don't remember. :D

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I won't recommend my lake. Besides the fact that we have cold winters, the water can get too rough. We have a few hardcore houseboaters, and the marina they stay in is relatively sheltered, but if caught out in the weather they can end up fighting 6+ foot swells, not fun in a houseboat unless it is on a real hull instead of 'toons.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Lake Powell definitely. Pure heaven. <br />Bassy :D

Drowned Rat

Captain

Lake Powell is houseboat nirvana, but maybe not for long. It's running out of water, over 100 feet below full pool, with no end to the drought in sight.