Best homeopathic (???) treatment for arthritis??

ezbtr

Commander
Started more so w/ gout in big toe, NOW they have me on 300mg allpurinol, they say to not drink beer (???!!!!!) I get around fine, no huge pain just did both yards, but I'm sure feeling stuff in shoulders (lots of old injuries), legs/knees surprisingly ok - any hints??
P.S. I'm 58 retired last 5 years, used to take condrotin??? for knees, especially outside in winters
Thanks guys!!

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
I wear a copper bracelet that has helped my wrist and fingers. Don't know how or why it works but it does seem to help.

Tommie Copper makes some shoulder support wear. Might help, there are also other brands.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
My doc prescribed capsaicin cream; 0.075%. It works quite well. 😀

I use it on my knees, shoulders, wrists and sometimes the backs of my hands. Beats Ben Gay all to pieces.

WARNING! This stuff is hot, so use gloves! Don't rub it anywhere really sensitive... you know where I mean! 😧

The Rx version is 0.075% and Walmart and other companies sell Capzasin, which is 0.10% and definitely feels stronger and helps more. And I found yet another capsaicin cream which is 0.15%, but I haven't tried it yet. Gotta be mucho hot! But hotter means using less and getting more effect. (y)

The capsaicin cream may feel pretty warm at first, but your body gets used to it, so that later applications only feel good.

Best of luck to ya! :cool:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If they have you on Allopurinol, you have gout not arthritis per say. Very different cause and treatment than “arthritis.”

My mother suffered with gout on a regular basis until she went to assisted living. Once there, they made sure she took her medicine on time everyday and adjusted her diet.

Can I prevent gout?​

You can make certain lifestyle changes to help prevent gout:
  • Drink plenty of water to help your kidneys function better and avoid dehydration.
  • Exercise regularly to stay at a healthy weight. Extra weight increases uric acid in your body and puts more stress on joints.
Do your best to limit the purines in your body, since these chemicals can trigger uric acid buildup. Foods and drinks containing high purine levels include:
  • Alcohol.
  • Red meat and organ meats (liver, for example).
  • Shellfish.
  • Gravy.
  • Drinks and foods high in fructose (fruit sugar).
  • Protein from animal sources. All protein from animal flesh can potentially lead to elevated uric acid levels

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I wear a copper bracelet that has helped my wrist and fingers. Don't know how or why it works but it does seem to help.

Tommie Copper makes some shoulder support wear. Might help, there are also other brands.
My FIL wears a copper bracelet too. He swears by it. Like he said, whether it works or it's all in his head, who cares! All that matters is pain relief...

ezbtr

Commander
If they have you on Allopurinol, you have gout not arthritis per say. Very different cause and treatment than “arthritis.”

My mother suffered with gout on a regular basis until she went to assisted living. Once there, they made sure she took her medicine on time everyday and adjusted her diet.

Can I prevent gout?​

You can make certain lifestyle changes to help prevent gout:
  • Drink plenty of water to help your kidneys function better and avoid dehydration.
  • Exercise regularly to stay at a healthy weight. Extra weight increases uric acid in your body and puts more stress on joints.
Do your best to limit the purines in your body, since these chemicals can trigger uric acid buildup. Foods and drinks containing high purine levels include:
  • Alcohol.
  • Red meat and organ meats (liver, for example).
  • Shellfish.
  • Gravy.
  • Drinks and foods high in fructose (fruit sugar).
  • Protein from animal sources. All protein from animal flesh can potentially lead to elevated uric acid levels
I know gout - and arthritis , old injuries sure didnt help , I quit drinking wine 2 yrs ago, (boy I had a fun ride for awhile ;) ) but enjoy beer and Mikes harder lemonade, a shot of whisky maybe twice a month, I always have 10-12 oz water every am w/ my fiber powder and assorted vitamins (last 10 yrs at least), quit smoking cold turkey almost 5 yrs ago(1.5 packs a day for 28 ish years) rarely eat red meat, but do make chicken and pork at home all the time, grilled usually, plenty of veggies, plenty of bananas, and apples - I def need to lose maybe 20 lbs (retirement!!!!! LOL) BP is decent no other physical probs at 58 :)
I think my worst issue is drinking but I have to have enjoyment too!! :)

ezbtr

Commander
My doc prescribed capsaicin cream; 0.075%. It works quite well. 😀

I use it on my knees, shoulders, wrists and sometimes the backs of my hands. Beats Ben Gay all to pieces.

WARNING! This stuff is hot, so use gloves! Don't rub it anywhere really sensitive... you know where I mean! 😧

The Rx version is 0.075% and Walmart and other companies sell Capzasin, which is 0.10% and definitely feels stronger and helps more. And I found yet another capsaicin cream which is 0.15%, but I haven't tried it yet. Gotta be mucho hot! But hotter means using less and getting more effect. (y)

The capsaicin cream may feel pretty warm at first, but your body gets used to it, so that later applications only feel good.

Best of luck to ya! :cool:
I just ordered some, should be here in a few days :)

flashback

Captain
I feel your pain. Everything in post.
#5 is my favorite, probably why I also take allopurinol. It's just natural to cherish things that ain't good for you!

ezbtr

Commander
A full deep tissue body massage worked GREAT!! Hadnt had one in years, gonna see if ins covers it - they used to 25%

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Pepper spray ;) is Oleoresin Capsicum but don't buy the stuff with UV indicators or tear gas but it does work Habenaro sauce is very hot too and they are cheaper then a perscription
OR
Find that bottle that contains the Genie and ask for your 3 wishes !

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You need to quit the alcohol
AND drink 64 - 96 ounces of water per day.

That should reduce or eliminate the gout.
Help with the arthritis.
And help with the weight loss, which will also help with the arthritis.

Simple, easy, proven results.
Just replace the alcohol with water.

If you need to get buzzed to escape your reality, get a Texas pot medical prescription and smoke a joint. But that won't help with the weight loss. :)

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
A full deep tissue body massage worked GREAT!! Hadnt had one in years, gonna see if ins covers it - they used to 25%
So your muscles reacted well to massage (release of lactic acid) .Listen to your muscles as they are telling you to EXERCISE !!! Everyone has own their personal suggestions for miracle cures.Some show promise but all temporary or placebo effect.My father had gout,my mother had gout.Both blamed any and everything for the pain.Neither exercised at all.One smoked and didnt drink ,the other like her brewskis every day. Both ate the same food every day.Mom was an EXCELLENT cook,beyond excellent!!! Every dish she made was restaurant quality.Italian specialty.I just turned 63 in Oct. always an athlete,always exercise ,always ate moms cooking,mom taught wifey her methods of cooking so still eating moms cooking.Never had gout.Never smoked.Have some Chardonnay every day.Have plenty of old injuries.Go for a run 3-4 days a week. Feeling great!!! had hip replacement 2 years ago.My suggestions to you are as follows....#1 some form of exercise EVERY day. EVERY DAY....Your normal every day chores dont count.A diet according to your dr. recommendation. If you are drinking wine,fill your glass with ice before pouring.If you are drinking beer,try a Mic Ultra or a Hiney ZERO .Big suggestion in supplements, I take 1250 mg of Turmeric every day with my typical vitamins and rx. Big physical suggestion.After you wake up but before you get out of bed.S T R E T C H.... Legs and hips need to be stretched right after you wake.Last stretch should be ankles and calves.Very simple...point toes tips down for 10 seconds and then pull toes/feet back as far as you can.Do this several times.you will feel 100 times better the minute you get out of bed and the rest of the day should follow.Just telling you what works for me.Things like doing simple squats in sets of 10-20 will make a big difference for your legs and hips.Some of these things,your body may not seem to like at first but trust me ,that is not the case.Embrace any soreness as a step in the right direction.Your muscles getting deeply massaged reacted.you have the clue that most dont realize.Just my 2 cents as to what works for me.I do a bunch more of simple exercises that do a ton of good for muscles.Just ask or reply if interested in hearing about them.They can benefit you.Charlie

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Lactic acid is built up in your muscles during exercise,
URIC acid buildup caused by what we take into our bodies, is what causes Gout.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Lactic acid is built up in your muscles during exercise,
And released during a deep tissue massage or additional exercise .Exercising a muscle that has not recently had exercise will feel sore the following day.The soreness is the muscle secretion of Lactic acid.This is natural and not a bad thing.Weight lifters and body builders use this to gage
which muscles are being worked properly AND parts of certain muscles for example Triceps which are opposite side of biceps.Triceps have 3 parts to the muscle and different exercises will work out different parts of a muscle.
The way to get rid of the muscle soreness after working out is to workout the muscle again OR a deep tissue massage.Charlie

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
And released during a deep tissue massage or additional exercise .Exercising a muscle that has not recently had exercise will feel sore the following day.The soreness is the muscle secretion of Lactic acid.This is natural and not a bad thing.Weight lifters and body builders use this to gage
which muscles are being worked properly AND parts of certain muscles for example Triceps which are opposite side of biceps.Triceps have 3 parts to the muscle and different exercises will work out different parts of a muscle.
The way to get rid of the muscle soreness after working out is to workout the muscle again OR a deep tissue massage.Charlie
Yep, not arguing that.
Just wanted to make sure people knew there were 2 different pain issues being discussed here, and two different acids/causes responsible.

airshot

Rear Admiral
My type of arthritus is a big long name but the sgort version is called " polymyalgia" it is an arthritus of the muscles themselves. If you dont exercise enough they hurt, but if you exercise to much they really hurt ! Yep...cant win....nothing to take for it but pain meds..The cold really makes it act up as does storms and other bad weather...can tell the weather at least 8 hrs before it gets here, but the TV station wont hire me !! Just learned to live with it.. I can say for a fact, that it feels much better when I am on my boat !!!!