Best alternative to a rediculously priced part?

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, for the most part I've accepted the fact that marine parts are expensive and have fronted the cost for such things as power packs, water pumps, and other parts necessary for restoring a boat. But I just came across something I that I think is the most rediculous thing I've seen so far. The other day we were out on the water with my johnson 25 and I shifted the boat into gear. I heard a pop. I looked back to see that the motor end of my gear selector cable had broken. I thought oh crap, I guess I'll have to buy a new one. (This one was pretty old and it didn't surprise me that it broke). The little spring screw and clip fell into the water as well. I get back home and get on the net looking for a replacement cable. I need an 8 foot OMC style cable for a 1979 johnny. I researched the cables on the internet to find what I was looking for. I found the cable here at iboats for about $20. Seemed about normal as far as I could tell. Started to order it when I noticed that I wasn't sure if the connector came with it. It appeared that the plastic piece did come with it but I didn't see anything about the screw and clip. So I did a search to find that part thinking that it would only be $5 at most. I find it here http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg... cable&**********=179219896&*******=911166026 for an astonishing $36!! What the heck? Yes it includes another plastic piece but $35? Thats almost twice the cost of the actual cable.<br /><br />So in the end I have a few questions. Does anyone know if by chance the teleflex cables come with a way to connect to my gear selector lever? Or is that $36 kit my only option? Or would I be able to use a standard screw instead of ordering this kit? Or does anyone know of a place that I can order just the spring screw and not the plactic piece?

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: Best alternative to a rediculously priced part?

I bought a cable from iboats, #3464112 (Teleflex #CC170112). It came with the end pieces in your above reference.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your kidding? It actually came with that screw and spring? If that is the case it would be really stupid to order just the connector instead of th cabel assembly.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

After think about it, I couldn't swear that was the case. I bought 2 cables and I remember I put the new ends on, but I just don't remember positively about where I got them. Sorry.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

BWS, Those cables are widely available (dealer, discount marine outlets, marinas). Why not go to one of there places and examine the cable to see if it comes with the proper ends. I know Mercury cables come complete!

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I called teleflex and asked them about it. They said that their cables do not come with the hardware to attatch it to the motor. They said the their OMC cable ends include the plastic piece but not the tension screw or the clip.<br /><br />As for seeing them at a dealer that would be nice and all, but I do not have a marine parts distributor anywhere near me. That has turned out to be one of the most frustrating things. If I need something simple I'm having to order it over the internet. So basically I have to wait 3-5 days every time I need something. Time is running out on my fishing opportunities this year so it's frustrating.<br /><br />I'm still frustrated that a part so simple and small could cost $36. It's crazy.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Today I had to pay $50.00 for the trim/tilt spring loaded rocker switch for my OMC 110s. I went looking on the internet but could not find one that would fit. There were plenty switches there running $5-7.00. It probably cost the manufacturer (including profit) under $3.00.

timmathis

Lieutenant

If you want to play there is lot's of times you have to pay$$$ Welcome to the costly world of boating.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I know, I've heard that before. Just thought that this piece in particular was way overblown in price. I'll rig it up with some nuts and bolts before I pay $36 for that piece.

rayjay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by BWS:<br /> (This one was pretty old and it didn't surprise me that it broke). ?
If you wait for things to break then you are going to lose time waiting for parts. Preventative maintenance keeps you on the water.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

it's times like this I ask myself, "WWRGD" (what would Red Green do?)<br /><br />sounds like a job for duct tape.

timmathis

Lieutenant

yea it seems plum silly at times,The cost of some things.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I work at Miami International airport. A small Coke costs $2.11. I bought a bunch of 12 oz cans at Publix for $ .17 ea??????????????

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

SoLittle,<br />Yes, but dont forget, that $2.11 Coke had to be fully screened by the homeland security task force before you could have it. :D <br /><br />Nav :cool:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

yeah, but can ya get one of those little cups of Cuban coffee at publix?