best aftermarket small motor trim N tilt?

LurcherNZ

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking at buying an aftermarket trim and tilt unit for a 96 30hp long shaft johnson. The motor will have a permatrim fitted and is destined for the back of an alloy pontoon boat that will be used in rough conditions.

The two uinits I have been looking at are the CMC PT-35 and the Panther weekender 40 series. The Panther is rated for outboards to 150 lb. (So I guess the 30 longshaft would squeeze in at around 125 lb).

Has anyone any experiences of these tilt/trim systems? are they sturdy enough for the task?

Cheers in advance

John

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: best aftermarket small motor trim N tilt?

I believe that the CMC is electro-hydraulic and the Panther is electric, Lurcher.

If that is correct I would go electro-hydraulic without hesitation.

LurcherNZ

Seaman Apprentice

JB said:
I believe that the CMC is electro-hydraulic and the Panther is electric, Lurcher.

Yes that is true, are the hydraulic tilt/trims more reliable? Panther seems to have been in the marketplace for quite a while so I assume their product would be OK? Interested to know the ins and outs of the two systems and why hydraulic is considered superior?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

CMC has been around atleast 40 years. use to make a hand pump type, t & t unit in the 60"s. had a hydrolic bottle jack looking thing in the stearn of the boat, that you jacked to bring the motor up.

LurcherNZ

Seaman Apprentice

I'm leaning towards CMC, I contacted Cooke manufacturing who build them they said it would be OK, but that I should get some extra clevis brackets, as these are designed to break if the unit gets hammered.

JB said:

JB;

Got a chuckle out of your post until I checked back to find out that the original posters handle was Lurcher.

I was starting to think that "electric, lurcher" was some new type of T&T. LOL

Just so you know Lurcher - not trying to make fun of your handle. If I didn't have as sense of humor, I wouldn't use Wile E. Coyote (super genius) as mine. LOL

Gary

Saskatoon2005

Master Chief Petty Officer

Twin City Outboard was willing to sell me a CMC brand of power tilt and trim for $499.95 U.S. This was for my 40 H.P. two stroke outboard up to 135 H.P. outboard. He said it would work for all small outboards.

He was also going to sell me a Panther brand for $549.95.

You can email them at tcoutboard@tcoutboard.com