Best 15-18 ft Fishing / Crabbing Boat / Pleasure boat

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class
So this last year, i've got a 13ft Valco with a 15hp johnson which is my fishing/crabbing boat.

And a

1989 SeaSwirl Tempo with 120 evinrude on it. Which is my "Ski/tubing Boat"

I've found that due to the cost of a day on the water for the SeaSwirl, i've found myself using my valco 10 times to 1.

I've been using the valco a ton, and LOVE IT ! Just wish it was more comfortable to take more then 3 people fishing, or crabbing... At one time last week, we had 5 people and 6 crab pots on it LOL.

Anyway, I'm looking to perhaps sell the seaswirl and valco, and get a middle sized boat, that i can mainly use sport, but also still be able to throw a few people, and go tubing.

I'm thinking something 15-18 ft, maybe 50-85 HP. Aluminum, and stable, open bow (for people) what kind of boats you guys think would suite me best ? I've been looking at alot of Smoker Crafts and Lowes, but don't know much about larger alum boats, what is the way to go, for sport, and alittle tubing on the weekends (dont mean wake boarding speeds or anything, just something to tow pleasure tubes is all i want to do)

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Best 15-18 ft Fishing / Crabbing Boat / Pleasure boat

Either of those boats you suggested would be good. Smokercraft and Lowe have both been around a really long time and make a good boat for the money. You could also consider Lund, Tracker, Duroboat, and Crestliner. All are fairly popular in the Northwest region and readily available on Craigslist. If you're in the market for a used boat just start looking on that site and you will get a good idea of what a boat you're talking about costs.

I too had a valco but mine was 12'. It was good for 2 people, 3 was a tight squeeze for a day of fishing. I ended up selling that for a 16' Lund WC and haven't looked back. The Lund is a good size and even with just a 15hp engine still scoots pretty good with 3 guys and 4 crab pots.

For you, it sounds like a 16'-18' aluminum would be good. It seems that they need less power so anything from about 50 to 80hp would be more than enough.

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Best 15-18 ft Fishing / Crabbing Boat / Pleasure boat

I saw the boat of my dreams !!! It was a SmokerCraft Tracker ! Only had like a 50 hp on it, 15 hp kicker, looked amazing ! How long have they been making htis model, and any chance i could get one for under 4000?