BENNETT Trimdicator #1005 Cycling Display

Charger183

Seaman
I have just installed a set of Bennitt trim tabs to my boat. The joystick control and tabs work fine but the position indicators do not read a steady position. They both cycle from max 20 to 0 degs (and the LED bars also) continuously. I did not get any set-up instructions as this package was off an old boat, but assembled the wires color to color as one would expect. One thing though, there are 2 fused power leads (Orange and Pink) with 1 ground wire. Powering up the orange gave a light glow but no display, but you got bright display and the cycling when the Pink was also energized. On another site it showed 3 wires coming from the cylinders, these cylinders only had 2 each (2 red-2 green). I also followed the sites instructions on the initial set-up but still had the cycling problem. I took the electronics box apart but found no poor solder joints or GREEN DISEASE. Any help would be appreciated. Larry

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
Re: BENNETT Trimdicator #1005 Cycling Display

Charger,<br /><br />Is it cycling 0-20-0-20-0-20-0-20...or is it cycling 20,19,18,17,16...down to zero and starting over?<br /><br />Also did you install the steel rods in the cylinders?<br /><br />From your description this unit is likley quite old, and the current intructions will not apply. <br /><br />Let me know and I will get you going.<br /><br />Tom McGow<br />Bennett Marine

Charger183

Seaman

Hi Tom: It cycles 20-19-18-etc to 0 and starts again. The entire system was transfered directly from boat to boat with a minimum of disasembly. The cylinders were not taken apart. The wires from the senders were cut 20" from the cylinders, marked as to orientation and spliced back together as required. All other wires were either still attached to the Pump and Joystick, or in the case of the computer, the unit was lying free with the power wires loose and the 2 reds and greens still attached to the plug. Larry

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Larry,<br /><br />Ok, the counting backwards is a diagnostic code telling us that the sensor coils in the actuators or the wires have either a short or open circuit. Check the splices up at the CPU and if they look OK then undo the splices you made 20” from the actuators. The pair of wires inside the cable (red or green) should produce a reading between the same color wires in the 220-260 Ohm range. If it does not read in this range, the actuator sensor coils may be damaged. <br /><br />Let me know what you find.<br /><br />Also the first Trimdicators we made had two power leads, one has to go to a constant 12 volt source, if I remember correctly the orange with a black tracer had to go to constant power and the orange wire was the hot lead that turned it on and off. I do not believe that there was a pink wire. The unit you have is at least 13 years old, so I might have to check my records to be sure (I am at home now). <br /><br />Let me know what you find,<br /><br />Tom<br />Bennett Marine

Charger183

Seaman

Thanks Tom: The Starboard sender is open. The Port sender reads 225 ohms. Disconnecting the Starboard wires stops the cycling on the Sbd. display (no readout or led indication at all) but the Port continues to cycle unchanged. You are right, the two power leads are orange. I tried a 225 ohm resister in the Stb wires but only restarted the cycling in the display. It looks like I will have to find an older sender cap or complete strut. I'll look for one this summer but till then I'll run by feel. If you think there might be any other problem found in my discription, I would appreciate your comment. Thanks for your help.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Actually you can use the current caps with the old systems, you just do not connect the shield. I will look and see if we have some returned caps that test ok and see if we can swap them out and get that system working. I would suggest that if that doesn't work you contact us for the upgrade price to replace the components with current ones. If you replace more then the caps it will cost to much to do it piecemeal.<br /><br />I will post here on Monday if I can find some caps.<br /><br />Tom<br />Bennett Marine

Charger183

Seaman

Hi Tom: I took the computer/displays to my test bench and substituted 230 ohm resistors in the red and green leads. the Port readout cycled for a moment or so and stabalized at 18. The Stbd display would not stop cycling 20-19-18-etc. Also, the pin connectors are very sensitive to motion, causing readout and intensity jitters. Cleaning had no effect. As I said before, a VERY close look at the cct board showed no cold or broken solder joints. <br />Second Question: To remove the cap from the cylinder, after undoing the tab mount do I just hold the cap firm and unscrew the cylinder, or on this model is there a locking tab somewhere? Haven't seen one. Thanks for your help. Larry

Tabman II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Larry,<br /><br />Please contact me at trimtabs@earthlink.net with your phone number, mailing & shipping addresses (if different), since I may have an idea to get your system up and running again!<br /><br />I look forward to your reply.<br /><br />Sincerely,<br />MJ Thomas<br />Bennett Marine, Inc.<br />Client Services<br />trimtabs@earthlink.net<br />www.bennetttrimtabs.com