Benefits of getting old.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I complain a lot about the pains and penalties of getting old, but there is another side to that disk.

You experience history, assuming you pay attention. I can remember where I was and what I was doing when: Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, D-day, FDR died, Enola Gay dropped "the" bomb on Hiroshima, VJ Day; JFK, RFK and Dr. King murders; Man first landed on the moon, the Challenger explosion, Columbia's death (I actually witnessed both shuttle catastrophes) and many more red letter days in our history.

Tonight I am remembering the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the Cold War. Let me explain why that is so important to me.

The Love Of My Life, who was to become the Mother of my wonderful children, was a German trapped in Czechoslovakia at the end of the war. She and her Mother were interned in a refugee camp in East Germany by the Soviets. In 1948, at the age of 11, she took her night-blind mother and fled the camp in the night, making her way to the border with West Germany.

Hiding in the woods, they met a young couple with an infant in a carriage who also wanted to flee to the west. The young wife took a bottle of vodka and went to the gate to bribe the Soviet guards. After they were properly drunk all four (and the infant) just walked down the road and under the gate into the west.

They left relatives in East Germany, who she wouldn't see again for over 40 years.

Twenty years ago I sat with my eldest daughter and watched the news of the wall coming down, and subsequently a concert at the wall when they played Beethoven's 9th Symphony, the "Ode to Joy". Tears rolled.

That event freed the LOML and our four children from a terrible shadow by allowing them access to relatives in the east.

How much I would have missed had I not gotten old.

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: Benefits of getting old.

Very interesting story JB, and heart touching. For those of us that were still children and did not fully understand (at the time) the significance of the "Fall of the Wall", your story certainly puts it in perstective.

You are right, the aches and pains of getting old are annoying... However, without getting old, we cannot look back and ponder our life and the wonderful memories made...

My boys and I are sitting at home right now recovering from the Royal Ambassadors Weekend Camporee. This one was one of the best ever for our group and our church. More imporantly to me if how well my boys did in thier competitions... Seeing how much they have grown and what they have learned really touched my heart. If I do not grow old, we will not be able to look back on those times in the years to come...

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

A very heartfelt story J.B. Although I only remember from J.F.K on, and I remember like it was yesterday the whole family and our neighbors watching Neil Armstrong step foot on the moon, we were the only ones with a TV at the summer house in the area so everyone was there.
Reading your thread made me happy to see others teaching their children about their family and heritage,with that comes the significance of events in history. Heritage is something to be proud of for were you are from makes you who you are. I have spent the better part of my adult life trying to find out about my moms side of the family, for they moved to England from Ireland and changed their last name to avoid persecution from the brown and tans. My biggest regret is my grandfather always told us what our real last name was, I was to young and foolish to write it down or remember it.
Teaching your children about there past instilling values and keeping the family heritage in tact is priceless

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Very good reading JB..
I myself am just a pup, being born in 1965, yet I remember watching television with my father and Viet Nam footage was being reported on.
I asked him if that was a movie..And to this day remember the solomn look on his face when he told me "No Son, that's real men, our soldiers dying over there"

I think that your generation's hardships and trials were transformed into character and behavior that really hasn't been seen again since.

Many today have no idea of the price others have paid for all of us, for all time. I wonder if these kids today could survive a tenth of the hardships of past generations.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Great story JB!!! Reminded me of a news story I heard yesterday. Apparently, the rock band U2 played a free concert in Germany recently to commemorate the felling of the wall. Although free, the organizers erected a wall to keep those who did not have tickets out :eek:

Both Berliners and tourists alike saw the irony in building a wall around a concert dedicated to the wall that already has come down. "It's completely ridiculous that they are blocking the view," said Louis-Pierre Boily, 23, who came to Berlin even though he failed to get U2 tickets. "I thought it's a free show, but MTV probably wants people to watch it on TV to get their ratings up."
Boily, from Quebec City, was among several hundred people who gathered earlier in the day against the new fence, which was draped with a white tarp that blocked the view of the stage from the street. Some fans already were trying to tear down the tarp before the concert.

HondaPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was serving at the NATO HQ in the Netherlands when it came down. We were all glued to the TV watching it unfold on the German stations. We could not quite believe it at the time and we were waiting for the hammer to fall, but thank god it did not. It was only a matter of 3 or 4 days and we started seeing the oil belching Trabant cars driving through our area carrying former East Germans looking for somewhere else to live.

angus63

Captain

I was expecting cheap movie tickets or early dinners, but enjoyed the surprise.

Bigprairie1

Commander

I watched a documentary on it the other night and it was pretty interesting how the East German 'Stasi' Police actually counted on escapes to help them find 'holes' in the wall.
Every time someone found a new way over they attempted to step up and eliminate that method for next time...unfortunately the ingenuity just never stopped. Tunnels, bolt cutters, hot air balloons, lowered stripped cars, swimming, windsurfing, high wire zip lines, ultralites, etc.:eek::rolleyes:
Many of the escapees were actually former guards...just waiting for their chance.
Great to see it long gone and to see Germany united....and good on Gorbachev for knowing when the jig was actually up.
BP:cool::)