Benefits of a I/O over a outboard motor

mjestey2000

Cadet
Hi, I'm building a 24' La Paz and I am deciding on what type of engine to put in. I am leaning towards a I/O. What are the benefits and draw backs of the I/O?<br /><br />Thanks!<br />Mike

Re: Benefits of a I/O over a outboard motor

I have owned and pesently own both, I prefer an Outboard, I suppose the main reason being is hte safety factor, Gasoline fumes can and been known to accumalate in the bildge, and a spark can inginte them or worse a Bilge Bomb.<br /><br />Other reasons I like outboards, they are alot easier to replace, (in case you want to, or have to replace the motor you have). The older models are easier than you think to work on yourself. There is numerous add-on accessories/preformance parts available. <br /><br />Good Luck, Brian

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey, neighbor, sort of, I went for the outboard cause I use my boat year round, and outboards are self-draining. And as you know, we've already had a cold spell or 2......... :D

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you use the "search" command above, this topic has been covered and has had some pretty interesting replies. Another thing, think of all that extra deck/storage space you'll have with the motor behind the boat! ;)