Bellows or tubes/ replacement time

jimhen

Seaman Apprentice
being newer to the I/O concept I probably am playing with fire in this regard. I bought a 12 year old boat 8 years ago. The owner of the marina told me I would need to replace the bellows every year. I figured I could get by a little longer than that and the boat has stayed very dry, no leaks at all. I have generously doused it with armour all every winter and spring. I am in NY and our season is way short here, about 3 maybe 4 months. Ok so now we are around year 7 or 8 and it has tubes not bellows and I like to swim but not all that much.
Would it be nuts to run it another season and handel this maintenance in the fall?
What other items do I need to overhaul at the same time... gimbel bearing, u joint? anythng else? will these be bad for sure or just if they have been neglicted ( they haven't )
Thanks to all of you that stay on top of this forum, your assistance has been very helpful :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bellows or tubes/ replacement time

What sterndrive do you have?

I really doubt you have a tube for your U-joints...you may have a tube for your exhaust.

I replace my U-joint bellows every 4 years.

Has this drive ever been pulled in the last 8 years? You say they haven't been neglected but if the drive hasn't been serviced in 8 years, that sounds neglected to me.

John_S

Rear Admiral

It is definitly time to look at replacing them. By time you notice leaks, its too late.

PS: Where in the Adirondaks are you located?

jimhen

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for getting back to me. Being newer to stearn drives and buying this used I didn't get an owner manual. I had thought maintenance was pretty well covered by keeping an eye on the fluid in the lower unit and changing it out each year. Greasing the fittings etc. I see a shop manual will be needed soon! It is a 1986 2.5 Mercursier, I think an Alpha1.

John you mention that once a leak develops it is too late.... would bellows failure equal sudden and massive flooding?

btw I live near and boat mostly on Schoon, some on Lk George

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The drive should be pulled yearly as part of its annual maintenance. When it is off, you can inspect and grease the U-joints and gimbal bearing and verify that no water has entered the bellows.

If your bellows leak, the leak can vbe bad enough to sink your boat. It also can ruin your u-joints, gimbal bearing and allow water to enter the drive through the rear drive seal.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Annual bellows replacement is ridiculous. Thats dang near a thousand dollar job. :rolleyes:

Five years is not unreasonable , nor is ten. Beyond that is borrowed time. In freshwater, I've seen them last 20+ years.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Jim,

I haven't let mine go to test the theory, but I don't believe it will cause a sinking situation. At least, not at first. What I was refering to was, once water gets in there, the cost of repairs skyrockets. Search the archives. You should find plenty of evidence.

PS: i'm a bit west of you at Canada Lake.

jimhen

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I've got the idea. Can anyone give me an idea of what the associated repairs / maintenance items are that should be covered when the drive is off?
Totaly new to this operation and the beast is the most akward looking chunk of metal I've ever looked at.... will I need some special type of hoist or stand to hold the thing once it comes off?
thanks

jimhen

Seaman Apprentice

I had asked the owner of the marina where I purchased the boat (used) what I should do for winterization and annual maintenance. Maybe I misunderstood him and he was saying I needed to pull the sterndrive to service it.... but I thought he had said to replace the bellows every year???
Am I really looking at a grand if I do it myself?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I had asked the owner of the marina where I purchased the boat (used) what I should do for winterization and annual maintenance. Maybe I misunderstood him and he was saying I needed to pull the sterndrive to service it.... but I thought he had said to replace the bellows every year???
Am I really looking at a grand if I do it myself?

The u-joint bellows only list for $46. That and a few o-rings are all that is needed.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If your boat has gone 7 - 8 years without having the drive pulled, in addition to the elastomer parts, you should also plan on at least a new gimbal bearing, possibly u-joints & lower shift cable next time drive is off (if you used it more than a few hours a year).

Without regular lubing, the gimbal & u-joint life can be limited. Shift cables just wear out over time. When you are out on the water, is it making any noise or vibrating when you turn hard? Any problems stalling when shifting from N to R or F? Those are symptoms of gimbal, u-joint & shift cable issues.

Here's a link to an on-line service manual for the drive:
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf

jimhen

Seaman Apprentice

If the gimbal has a zerk it has been getting regular grease.
I don't have any vibration or noise althought there seems to be just a little sloppiness. It does just get a few hours a season on it. I don't have a meter... but I would guess 20 to 30 hours a year.
I have another thread going abt an idle problem where the cabel was suspect. It will kill at idle on occassion. ( coming through a long no wake zone at around 1200 RMP - approach to dock and shift to neutral - sometimes drops to 300 - 400 RPM shutters stumbles and conks unless I can up the throttle quickly..... and just when I want a touch of reverse.) :(

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Forgot one other thing...you need to check the alignment of the drive. You need an alignment bar to do this. You can buy them on Ebay.

jimhen

Seaman Apprentice

I think I am all set... thankyou guys !