Bellows Installation ?

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been working on my OLD Mercruiser II drive and have come to the point of reinstalling it. I have to connect the U-Joint bellows. I was told that I don't need to put any sealant on the bellows, just clamp it on. The bellows will be under water whilst using the boat so I question not having sealent on it. If I do need sealant, what type should I use?<br /><br />Thanks for any help.<br />P.S. Don S, I appreciate your knowledge and hope to hear your input

hoot

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bellows Installation ?

i used the merc stuff, super tacky and thick. i have seen on the posts where 3M makes a similar product but don't remember what it was. i'm sure someone will.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello use bellows adhesive. in a pinch OMC adhesive M or 3m super weather strip adhesive will work. but on that old unit yoiu definatly want to use the correct type sealer. just say no to silicone of anytype anywhere on the drive.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I would recommend to sand clean and wipe with solvent the surfaces before adhesive and clamping,and dont skimp on the quality of the clamps.Also read a manual carefully because most bellows on mercruisers have to be put on a certain way,they have 1 flat side.Charlie