Bellows expander tool, mercruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul2112

Seaman
Hello, Im looking at making my own bellows tool. I work in a tool r/d shop and can make one but dont really have any dimensions,..Anything would be great..Thanks

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bellows expander tool, mercruiser

Seeing how you can buy one for less than $40, at some point your time has to enter into it.

Anyway, the tool is more or less obsolete.
The easy way to approach the problem is go to the new style slip boot, no special tool needed.

I'm ready to install the exhaust bellows and have read about many tricks to it. However I've not seen a "slip boot" style bellows. Can you direct me to a place that has them? I have seen an exhaust tube that only connects on the boat side but that's it. I have a 1981 SeaRay with a 120 MC I drive that I just replaced the gimble bearing and other bellows as well.
One more question, if I can't get the other end on can it be just left that way? It would seem like just a longer exhaust tube left that way. I hope to get it on though but really don't want to spend another $50 for an expander tool.
Thanks!

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

I made my own out of 1/4" round stock and a few other scrap pieces laying around. It took me about 1/2 an hour. I just made mine to fit the curvature of the bellows tube and mimicked the online pictures for the rest.

DougV>

EDIT Didn't notice this was an old post.

projecthog

Petty Officer 1st Class

re: Edit old post,

Don't matter, some of us will still get the info to use when we find old boats to play with, which we need that info for.

projecthog.

Status
Not open for further replies.