Bell-ringing noise when starting engine ... what would cause this?

hunterda

Recruit
I have a 1996 Volvo Penta 4.3GL with SX drive in a project boat. It had overheated... new impeller. The starter went bad... new starter. The engine is sluggish to start, but it does start. However, during the ignition it makes an occasional clanging noise, and more frequently a ringing noise each time it turns over. The ringing can be heard in the attached video. Do you have any suggestions on what this might be or how I might troubleshoot this?

Last edited:

Tristador

Cadet
That clanging sounds like it's coming from your flywheel.
Check that your starter cables are clean and tight and that the starter is tight also.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Agreed it sounds like slightly loose starter bolts, make sure that when you installed the new starter you used the right bolts. If they were just slightly too long they can allow the starter to shift and that eventually will break a starter bolt causing a lot of extra grief and work. I recently installed a new ARCO pmgr starter and had to buy their installation kit (new knurled bolts).

photo329605.jpg

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Good thing you asked! Because if one of those bolts broke it turns into a big job!