bell housing issue

Boheefus

Cadet
I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how the shift cable separates from the aluminum slide. Is the end of the shift cable threaded?

I took out the adjustment screw, but that is it.

1988 Alpha 1 gen 1

Thanks eh.

badognobisc

Cadet
Re: bell housing issue

the shift cable is threaded and requires a specially made (waste of time) tool or a 9/16 deep socket welded to another socket to remove properly. Careful it is brass and can damage very easy. It is also sealed with a blue or white loctite material.

badognobisc

Cadet

you must do a lot of removing from the lower unit to get to it and be prepared to replace the shift bellows and possibly the stern drive gasket if you are replacing the cable. If you are doing an adjustment then not so bad but make sure you understand the instructions in the manual (see adult section ) or you may have a stay at home weekend.

Bifflefan

Commander

It should be. There is a safety wire holding it in the slide. You can remove the wire and then screw it out. There may be loctite in there also.
I have never taken one out so take this with grain of salt. But i have had the cable out a time or two.

Bifflefan

Commander

you must do a lot of removing from the lower unit to get to it and be prepared to replace the shift bellows and possibly the stern drive gasket if you are replacing the cable. If you are doing an adjustment then not so bad but make sure you understand the instructions in the manual (see adult section ) or you may have a stay at home weekend.

He is talking about the shift cable, not the cable housing.
To do the cable, you pull the drive. remove the 2 small screws in the shift lever end and pull out the cable.

Boheefus

Cadet

I am talking about the aluminum slide that actualtes the shift foot in the outdrive. It looks like I may just be able to disconnect.

edit: nevermind. I found my answer on youtube. The manual leaves this handy bit of information out. I have to disco the shift cable @ the engine, and pull it out far enoug to get the bellhousing out of the way. The shift cable boot is in great shape, but it looks like I am going to have to replace the driveshaft bellows

Boheefus

Cadet

He is talking about the shift cable, not the cable housing.
To do the cable, you pull the drive. remove the 2 small screws in the shift lever end and pull out the cable.

yap, found it. I took the outdrive off 2 days ago, then got the hinge pins off tonight (long commute, not enough time). I am going through all of this just to get to that stinking water tube:mad: but, it will be speedy form here on out (anti-jinx, no takebacks)

NHGuy

Captain

If you mean the funky looking shift link that resides inside the bell housing and sticks into the upper housing, here's how. There is a tiny little piece of stainless wire that keeps the set screw from backing out and being lost. Remove that, remove the shifter end inside the boat so there is nothing but a bare cable-end in there, then pull the cable through from the boat out through the transom plate..
Or more importantly, why are you messing with that. It is a pain in the derriere to reinstall. Look it up in manual #6 of the tech help stickies.

If you are doing a shift cable get a Craftsman spark plug socket with a hex on it's back end. Then use the next size up deep socket on top of the first socket for the shift cable installation. This avoids welding together two sockets, you just use tools that anyone might use or need.

Boheefus

Cadet

I just need enough room to get the bellhousing off so I can access the water tube. Degree of difficulty TBD

Boheefus

Cadet

Here is a link to the OEM service manual
http://www.4shared.com/file/115650149/5fc7e090/Service_Manual_06.html

You WILL need it before you are done, so might as well get it now and take things apart properly. Page 4B-18-19 will show you how the cable comes out of the slide.

I referenced the manual, searched around quite a bit, and came to the conclusion that the engineers were either idiots or evil geniuses. I think maybe it was both:D

Next boat is gonna have outboards.