before i buy...

zeppellin

Cadet
ive been doing tons of research...cant stop thinking about a boat. im obsessed :) i beleive im going with a bay boat. but what i need to know is what features on a boat are necessities. whats a luxury. when buying a car..certain things you need. certin are bells and whistles..like cruise control, outside temp gage, etc...what should i look for on a boat that ill pissed i didnt have after i buy?

JRJ

Commander
Re: before i buy...

In addition to all required safety equipment: VHF,compass,sonar,GPS,anchor&rode,flashlight,rod holders,down rigger. There is more,but I'm tired of typen :D Have fun with your new boat.

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was in your shoes last year. I have found that it is best to buy a used boat first and find out what you use your boat for (if enough) and make your mistakes. <br /><br />Geography:<br />Where will you be taking your boat...Chesapeake Bay, Ocean, Lake, River?This will determain your boat options. <br /><br />On a large body of water such as the Chesapeake, you will find that longer boats and lots of freeboard are essential for days when chop is above 2 or 3 feet (this occurs more often than you think). If you have a 17 foot bowrider, you will likely make yourself sick, never get above 15 mph, or get very wet in these conditions. Also, if you choose a smaller boat in a large body of water, it might not be worth going with larger motor because you will rarely use the power.<br /><br />As far as options, get a boat that does not have any wood!!! 100% composite only. Other than required safety stuff, invest in a chart plotter/fish finder/depth (colored Lawrance is about $350 with GPS and depth base map at Boaters World). Save the rest of your bucks for routine maintenance, gas, and beer for the first year....And yea, take a safety course.<br /><br />The older pups on this site can provide some more tips.

zeppellin

Cadet

ive pretty much limited it to bay boats...i live in the tampa area and will be fishing the flats and wont even dare to go offshore very far. wanted a boat that could go offshore some on a good day. definetly going used..at least a few yrs old. ir eally like the 24 ft bay boats of hydra sport, fishmaster, sea fox, sea pro. angler. just gets confusing. so many nice boats. is there any companies out there or bay boats that are no no's. stay away from. bad company?

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Bigger boat will need a bigger motor. Since bay boats range from 18 to 24 ft, you may want to decide how much motor you want to deal with first. Then look at boats that are a nice fit for that motor.<br /><br />Kelly Cook

zeppellin

Cadet

my idea was get a boat that fits my needs...then make sure it has a motor that is adequate.

phatmanmike

Captain

is this your first boat? if it is, tell me when youre going out and ill stay home. a first timer does NOT need to start with a 24 foot boat and a 200hp motor!<br /><br />anyways, if it isnt your first... i live, fish, cruise, boat, etc in tampa bay and surrounding waters weekly, religioulsy! email me directly, phatmanmike@yahoo.com , ill help however i can<br /><br />you need a good anchor with about 6 feet of chain and at least 150 feet of rode( line).<br /><br /> you need a bimini or t-top, unless you like being BURNT. <br />you need a swim platform of SOME type, to get back into the boat after you fall out or drop soemthing, cause you WILL. <br />you need rod holders. <br />you need a cooler or two. <br />you need a live/bait/fish well or two. <br />you need a 12volt accs plug for your spot light and to charge your cell phone. <br />you need a bilge pump. <br />you need good(marine) battery, maybe two. <br />you need a VHF radio and an antannae too. <br />you need a fish/depth finder. <br />you NEED tilt/trim around here! this is a must. maybe even a jack plate too.<br />you need some spare tools, because things break!<br />you need a dry bag so your cell phone doesnt get wet!.<br />you need some good, polorized glasses. maybe even binoculars too!<br /><br />the rest is luxury, like cup holders, padded seats, cd players, porta potties, etc.<br /><br />tampa area gets realy shollow, really quick, without warning. any good bay boat whould be able to have a draft 12" or less.<br /><br />if youd like, and your local to me enough(bellair beach area), email me and i can help you look at something if you like. i have 6 boats now currenly and have had 3 others in the last 2 years.<br /><br /><br />some key west boats have lifetime hull warrantys with NO WOOD. try to get a boat that has the interior gelcoated also, not that stupid splatter stuff. maybe even one with a self bailing cockpit(scuppers). a salt water washdown is nice as is a fresh water transom shower, and maybe even a grill<br />mike

zeppellin

Cadet

great info....yes it is my first boat...but ive driven many anf been on boats quite a bit my buddy has a 17 ft...fish and ski....im not a crazy maniac out there :) ill definetly keep in mind all that you said. i really appreciate it.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

welcome to iboats!<br /><br />So what you're saying is you're not totally clueless. That's good.<br /><br />Everything on myoutboards' list, emphasis on:<br />*Sonar, get the most resolution (pixels per sq inch) you can afford.<br />*Propulsion, outboard, horsepower within 10% of the boat's maximum rating.<br />*Livewell & baitwell with fill and pump-out pumps.<br />*Rod holders.<br />*Two batteries is not a luxury, just good policy (IMHO).<br /><br />Except: I don't think of beverage holders as a luxury (you'll need beverages to stay hydrated, and just try setting one on the deck at 60mph :) ).<br /><br />Plus:<br />*Foul weather gear (and extras for guests).<br />*Personal floatation devices (might as well get enough for your boat's full capacity of persons).<br />*A big landing net and maybe a gaff.<br />*Measuring board and digital scale.<br />*Digital camera (so those clowns on iboats will believe your fish stories).<br />*First aid kit.<br />*Stowage, enough to stow your fishing equipment, foul weather gear, life jackets, etc.<br />*Secondary means of propulsion.<br /><br />*Trailer (if applicable) - [one of you saltwater boaters better jump in here before I put my foot in my mouth]<br /><br />have fun, and don't forget to post your Stupid Human Tricks over in the iboats SHT forum. :D :D

zeppellin

Cadet

Digital camera (so those clowns on iboats will believe your fish stories).<br /><br /><br />i love it....your right...i wouldnt forget that. ...or else it would be just another story

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Here is a link to a thread on www.RodnReel.com that discusses the biggest bay boats. You will likely have to register at that site before the link works Ok.<br /><br /> Which boat to buy <br /><br />Kelly Cook