beep---beep---beep--beep without solution

tsgarbi

Seaman Apprentice
1996 mercury 150
Serial # OG181260

PROBLEM SOLVED !

Thank you all for your input and suggestions.

The problem was AIR IN THE OIL RESERVOIR interfering with the "float" on the cap.

Please read-on for details on how I solved the problem

Thank you all
PTS

tsgarbi

Seaman Apprentice
Re: beep---beep---beep--beep without solution

pts said:
1996 mercury 150
Serial # OG181260
When the ignition is on everything is ok
once the engine starts running the beep--beep--beep starts..
I have checked the float on the reservoir,
It is not overheating. One thing happens when I lift the motor up (tilt it up) the beeping stops.

alousteau

Cadet

We just rebuilt ours, 175, ad the same problem and could never isolate it. Needless to say the motor burnt up, so you should do like we did and alot of people I talk to have done. Remove the oil injection and premix you fuel. Our rebuilder had noting but bad things to say about the mercury oil injection. I know others are going to say they have had it for years and it has worked fine, and so did ours, but it only took that one time for us to have to spend 2500 on a rebuild and parts!!! They make a kit that blocks off the port where the oil injector pump goes. Our motor is a 91 and lasted until this summer.

tsgarbi

Seaman Apprentice

alousteau said:
We just rebuilt ours, 175, ad the same problem and could never isolate it. Needless to say the motor burnt up, so you should do like we did and alot of people I talk to have done. Remove the oil injection and premix you fuel. Our rebuilder had noting but bad things to say about the mercury oil injection. I know others are going to say they have had it for years and it has worked fine, and so did ours, but it only took that one time for us to have to spend 2500 on a rebuild and parts!!! They make a kit that blocks off the port where the oil injector pump goes. Our motor is a 91 and lasted until this summer.

Thanks...
We have checked the oil, oil injector/pump and everything is working fine..
When the motor is down it still beep-beep-beep...
when I pull it up it stops...

LubeDude

Admiral

pts said:

If this is the case, there is air in the under cowl tank. Start it up on muffs or in the water, losten the cap while running and when oil starts to run out around the cap tighten it back up. This should solve the problem.

tsgarbi

Seaman Apprentice

LubeDude said:
pts said:

If this is the case, there is air in the under cowl tank. Start it up on muffs or in the water, losten the cap while running and when oil starts to run out around the cap tighten it back up. This should solve the problem.

Thank you. I will do so later today

Jerry Beebe

Cadet

I think I had that same problem on a merc 150 xr4. Don't remember just what caused the problem but it was in the cap on the emergency oil tank. Air in the top of the tank held the float down and set off the horn.........Jerry

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the right answer Lube Dude as when they tilt the engine the float goes off the bubble and onto real oil' floats like it should and quits beeping.

Nice job.

And for those who missed it, intermittent beep is oil, continuous blast is temp.

Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the right answer Lube Dude as when they tilt the engine the float goes off the bubble and onto real oil' floats like it should and quits beeping.

Nice job.

And for those who missed it, intermittent beep is oil, continuous blast is temp.

Mark

Yeah. I agree it's definately an oil issue. If it's not the oil pump then air is probably the culprit. I am no mechanic but slowly becoming intimately familiar with my 115 2 stoke merc. My guess is oil and you want to get that fixed before you have a real problem.

please post when you have fixed the problem so we can all read what it was

LubeDude

Admiral

Texasmark said:

Nice job.

Mark

Well, if it is the problem, all I can attribute it to is a "BEEN THERE DONE THAT" experience as I have a Merc 150 and it happened to me the same way.8)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Well, the boy (boy-son) just got his and we have been boning up on it. The over temp thing is a real bummer. Wonder how many are out there with that problem and how many have died and been resurrected because the port temp sensor was going nowhere and how many have a po attitude toward Merc as a result, and how many bucks have been puked for nothing as a result. :devil:

Mark

tsgarbi

Seaman Apprentice

Miami said:
Yeah. I agree it's definately an oil issue. If it's not the oil pump then air is probably the culprit. I am no mechanic but slowly becoming intimately familiar with my 115 2 stoke merc. My guess is oil and you want to get that fixed before you have a real problem.

please post when you have fixed the problem so we can all read what it was

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!
Thank you all for the updates and suggestions.
Solution:
I ran the motor (in the water) As suggested
Removed the cap on the oil reservoir on top of the motor.. as suggested
I let the oil "spill" a little bit..as suggested
Replaced the cap and the beeping went away.
Just to be sure I then replaceD the cap assy. with a new one.
Final diagnosis = AIR IN THE OIL RESERVOIR
Thank you Very Very Much
Hope I can be of help one day
PTS

LubeDude

Admiral

Thanks for letting us know the resilts. All too often we never know the outcome.

Too bad it`s not always this easy.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Glad too problem is solved. Don't know what happened to my last entry. Actually it's a response to a wiring problem I found on this BM 150 and belongs on another thread.

Sorry for the confusion.:%

Mark