Become a guide???

LubeDude

Admiral
This is something I have kicked around for a couple years, and its easy to do here in Oregon.<br /><br />I have fished the lake I live on for over foutyfive years, there isnt a stump or fallen tree, chanel, hump, or rock bank I do not know where it is.<br /><br />I have fished Bass tournaments here for ten of those years also.<br /><br />There is a great big new RV ground that has opened in the last few years, and the clientell is high priced rigs. Its nearly full all year long. People from all over the country. Well, the other day while I was down at the local marina talking to the owner about the problems I am having with my boat, He ask me if I ever thought about Guiding on the lake. He said that a day dosnt go by without several guys asking if anyone is guiding on the lake. He has to tell them no!! They allways say to him that if there was one they would hire them. They try to get him to take them fishing, but he is too busy to. These people have money.<br /><br />I like talking, and know a lot about the area to tell a buch of stories while out, (could allways talk about oil), I think I would make a good guide and could make more money in the summer and do the resoration thing in the winter months. and when things might get slow guiding, Id allways have that to fall back on. I own everything including my house so I do not have many expences, I can actually pay all my bills on less than $800.00 a month.<br /><br />My boat is fine with two, but I would think it a bit crowded with three men, Depending on how it went the first year, then I guess I could go with a new twenty footer and then I could write it off.<br /><br />I suppose the best thing to do would be to go somewhere where they have guides and hire one and see how he does it. I have enough fishing tackle, (Like most of us Bass Fishermen), to outfit most of Iboats members allready. Never saw a book on "How to be a fishing guide".<br /><br />Its late, maybe this is just a dream.

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Become a guide???

"I suppose the best thing to do would be to go somewhere where they have guides and hire one and see how he does it. "... try that one first, just dont say anything

Link

Rear Admiral

I can actually pay all my bills on less than $800.00 a month.
Thats great! BTDT and hope to be back there again in a few years.<br /><br />
My boat is fine with two, but I would think it a bit crowded with three men,
But the question is: Would it be crowded with you and two women? :D :D :D <br /><br />I think phatmanmike hit the nail on the head. Get them to talking as people just love to talk about themselves. And you have plenty of time left this summer to try out many guides to get a feel of the business. <br /><br />Another big plus from what I've read from your posts is that the first year at least you could work it around your regular job time wise and let the business grow from there.<br /><br />Just a thought.

crab bait

Captain

i thought of it ,too...<br /><br />i can really blow fish up,, until i bring someone else along... :( ..

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

You might check with ODFW anout liscensing...here is very strict with that respect. You would do just fine...I think you would need to get a slower aluminum boat that could be highly disrespected by your rich clients in their combat boots... :D

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by phatmanmike:<br /> "I suppose the best thing to do would be to go somewhere where they have guides and hire one and see how he does it. "... try that one first, just dont say anything
I bet most any guide would tell you all about the business over a couple beers, and especially if you hired 'em for a day or two (which cost would be deductible, by the way). Especially if you're not going to be competing on the same water with them. All the guides I've fished with cooperate with other guides, referring clients back & forth when they're already booked, sharing info about what lures, depth, colors, maybe not honey holes, though. Guess that would depend on how much competition there is.<br /><br />But one question: what would you do on your day off? You can't go fishing, that's your job!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

do something you love and you'll never work a<br />day in your life...

aspeck

Staff member

Did a little guiding for a short time. It was great fun, but at the time not enough visitors to the lake to make it profitable. I have moved on to other things now and the guide services have picked up. Most of the successful guides here do hunting trips in the fall and winter to suppliment the spring, summer, and fall fishing.<br /><br />You can always set the times you will guide so you do it "Part time" - weekends and early morning/ late evening. Doesn't hurt anything to give it a try that way. You get to meet some really great people and earn money doing what you love to do.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Like aspect said start of part time at weekends / days off work etc until you get a good idea about how much people will pay how often etc. One thing to think about are public liability insurance just in case that big one pulls them overboard! <br /><br />Good Luck<br /><br />Chris

LubeDude

Admiral

Thanks for the support and suggestions.<br /><br />Here is all that is needed to apply for a license.<br /><br /> web page <br /><br /> Pretty straight forward, just a lot of hoops to jump through. CPR Training, Insurance, Coast Guard certification, [Believe it or not, the Lake I would be on mostly is concidered navagable]. Things that could be done through the winter. If I did it, next year would be the test and low keyed, but I know it would explode real fast.<br /><br />I dunno, maybe I do not want to get up every morning at 4:30 durring the summer, to get on the water by daylight.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

USCG liscence is the big hoop... Somewhat costly too... Think the "six pack" is all you'd be required to have, but still not easy, plus you have to verify actual time you've spent on the water.... Please don't think you're going to buzz thru the test, cause you may be in for a rude awakening...<br /><br />The USCG test is available on CD-rom, and Chapman Piloting is a must read...<br /><br />Good Luck... :)

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

I agree with snapper. I believe the only difference between a 6-pack and the 50 ton is the sea time required, the test is the same. I have several friends who have taken it and they all said it was a bear. Most of them had gone through a course of some sort. I'm thinking about it myself as a retirement supplement. Already got the deck hand :D

LubeDude

Admiral

Im thinking I could get the Coast Guard thing waved. Its the only Lake in Oregon that is cocidered Navagable, and in reality it isnt. Its just that when Oregon became a state, the canal out to the ocean was used to transport trade goods out to the ships waiting off shore. Its not posable to motor into the lake from the ocean, even at high tide anymore.

LubeDude

Admiral

I just got off the phone with the ODFW, and they laughed when I ask about the navagable part, they said there was no way they would rquire it. He even told me he wished I would start a guide service on the lake as they get calls all the time about Bass Fishing guides and there just are not any. There is one that does the river, but he only does Small Mouth in between the Salmon and Steelhead runs and could care less about the Bass in the Lakes. He is sending all the information and forms to me. He said that the only hitch is the insurence which can run anywhere from $1,000- 2500.00 a year, but that the state of Oregon only wants $50.00 a year for the guiding license. So you fish for a month to pay your license and insurence, then you are on your own.<br /><br />The wife is actually quite supportive also. <br /><br />There are only about 8 months, [March-October] You could guide, and if I do not have a client, I can come here and work. Sounds like it might work.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

LD,<br /><br />Sounds like a winner!!! If you hate it, very little (comparitively) invested, but sounds like a ready made client base and the lake is your backyard. Start a franchise and hire some of us I-boat people as employees. :) I-bass!! :p :D

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Lubedude, you might inquire with the insurance co about the cost difference if you had a USCG liscence vs. not having one.... ;)

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by POINTER94:<br /> LD,<br /><br />the lake is your backyard.
Actually its my front yard, but whos keeping track? :D

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Go for it Lube dude.<br />I did desert tour guiding and coral reef guiding off the Sinai Peninsula and it is the greatest thing you can do.Just don't let the compliments go to your head.<br />Remember that guiding is 90% percent about packaging your product with stories,small talk,showing that you care about your lake and your customers. And NO POLITICS,leave that for iboats.<br />The one thing you should be aware of is that guides are always called to work on holidays and the wife and kids birthdays.This meant for me that I had to choose between job and family because they did not go together.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

Don't forget about professional liability, and disclaimers for thier stupid actions, and sue happy spouses.