Bearings

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a small galv. trailer that my 14' wooden skiff sits on. I need to replace the bearings but I dont know what size to get. Can someone help me. The tires are 14 or 14 inch I think. It is a magic trail. Thanks

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bearings

The best thing is to remove the existing bearings & take them to the store to get replacements.

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This may sound dumb, but I have never done this before. How do I remove them. They are very rusty.<br />Thanks for your help.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's good that you are figuring out the trailer bearings before the season starts. A little maintanence now goes a long way to make your trailering & boating experince fun. Those links are good info.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

And once you have the bearing in, get yourself some Buddy Bearing.<br /><br /> Buddy Bearings <br /><br />Make sure they come with the cover cap. Worth every penny!

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I will do it this weekned after I read up. Thanks again!

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I put bearing buddies on last season but I was unclear about one thing - do you fill them till grease starts coming out of the overfill hole?

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What all should I buy to do a complete bearing job? Also what tools do I need?

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

New bearings (if you're replacing them), bearing buddies that fit on your hubs. Marine grade bearing grease. A grease gun to fill the bearing buddies and some new cotter pins.<br /><br />Really the only tools you'll need is some channel lock plier (or something close to that) to pull off the cotter pin and the nut and a hammer and block of wood to put on the bearing buddies. You'll need a way to jack up the trailer to get the tire off the ground (anchor down the trailer - keep it connected to your truck if you can).<br /><br />Other people will disagree with this, but I think the easiest way to pack the bearing with new grease is to put it in a ziplock bag with a big goop of grease and rub squish it all around.<br /><br />Get some heavy duty hand cleaner also..you're going to get greasy.

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright. I am ready to buy everything but I need to know what size bearing kit to get. At boatersworld.com they have size 1, 1 1/16, 1 1/4 etc. This is a very small galvenized trailer fro a 14 boat. I think it has 12" tires. Thanks Again, yall have been great! Also, What size BEaring Buddies shoudl I get there are three sizes?

Bondo

Staff member

stauter99,<br />The Only Way to Know for Sure,<br />Is to Pull it apart, Clean up the take-out parts,<br />And Buy your new ones by Part Number..........<br />The Bearings,+ Seals will have the Number On them......<br />Same for the bearing buddies, Measure the hub where the buddy rides....

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bondo. But The boat is over at my bay house and I want to do the job this weekend. I dont think I will ahve tiem to clean em out and get enw ones this weekend, but If I could pick some up this week I could do it theis week and get it done. I am only 16 and I need some advice. I think I can just assume theyre size 1(inch?) at Boatersworld.com? Thanks

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe you should buy 'em both and return the ones you don't need??

gss036

Commander

If you have never done the job before, make sure you put in new RACE CUPS for the bearing, they come in a set. Make sure you put them back together they way they came apart and not backwards. Preload the bearings by tightening the nut to about 15-20 ft lbs, spin the hub a few times and loosen and retighten to finger tight. A little bit loose is better than a little too tight.<br />Bearing buddies are great, but be carful not to overfill as they will squeeze the grease out the rear seals and make a mess, especially if you have brakes on a trailer, I speak from experience on this one,HA! Been there and done that.

Bondo

Staff member

I Understand your Delema stauter99,<br />But Life is Never that Simple....... :D <br />As much as these Parts Houses Want you to believe there are Only 3 sizes of Bearings used in trailers, <br />It Just Isn't True.......<br />I'm Betting you'll end up with the Wrong Size......<br />Good Luck..... 'cause that's what it'll Be.....<br /><br />If you do a Search for ThomWV, He wrote a Great Post about How To Service Trailer Bearings a couple of months ago.......

Jwill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wal Mart has bearings for boat trailers located on their marine wall.<br />I think they have two different sizes. I think their about $12 a side which includes the bearings, race and seal. You shouldn't have any problem taking back the extra set. Having a spare bearing set isn't a bad idea to carry just in case a side goes out.

JasonB

Lieutenant

Most small trailers I've tinkered with (<2000lbs) use 1" bearings, but you will need to pull them to be sure. Could be 1 1/16".