Bearings might be shot, need help

Parrot6909

Seaman
Ok, here is the deal....I bought a used boat with an 89' Karavan Trailer......The trailer has been sitting for ~ two and a half years.....I replaced the tires and need to get it out of the ladies garage because the house is coming down this week.......When i spun the tires, they were a little rough, but seemed to free up after a few spins with new grease....They have bearing buddies on them...My question, I know the bearings are going to have to be replaced, but do you think they would be ok for about a 25 mile ride doing around 35-45mph? There isn't enough time for me to get down there to replace them now, my only other option is to hire someone to do it for me.....Help!

Big Al1

Seaman
Re: Bearings might be shot, need help

I'd ride a mile or two and then pull over and feel the hubs for heat. If just a little warm and no smoke then it may be okay for 25 miles.

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is one of those darned if you do / don't situations. <br /><br />I do not know if your trailer has brakes or not because stoping is just as important as the wheel bearings not letting go. You did not list size or weight of boat.<br /><br />Do not apply too much grease as it could blow out the rear bearing seals but assuming the tow vehicle is big enough to control the boat and trailer then, I do not see a problem towing if you stay below 35 mph for a short distance. <br />It would not hurt to have a second vehicle following and in case of a problem they can use their hazard lights. Carry a jack and tools in case something does happen. Drive straight to the marina or mechanic and have them inspect the boat motor and outdrive as well as the trailer bearings / brakes. <br /><br />If the boat and trailer are too big for the tow vehicle, rent a bigger truck or have it towed by a tow truck. Your insurance will not pay anything if your trailer load exceeds the limit for no brakes etc.!<br />Do check the hubs for excess heat after a few miles like Big AL1 mentioned. If very hot call for a tow. If a just a little warm then carry on.<br /><br />Goodluck,<br />Mike

D

DJ

Parrot,<br /><br />I did exactly the same thing about a year ago.<br /><br />Take a full grease gun, lift up the wheels and spin while pumping the bearings full of grease.<br /><br />You'll make it home, just keep the speed down.

Parrot6909

Seaman

Thanks for the info! The boat isn't huge, its an 18' Bowrider (1966 model) trailer has no brakes.....Hopefully I can get her home in one piece.....As for the O/B....I will be taking it apart soon, gotta try to breath life back into the old beast (1968 Evinrude Sport Four 65hp)