Bearing removal

geofthro

Seaman
HI, I'v just finished dismantling another merc power head and im Looking for the best way to remove the two main bearings from each end of the crank shaft without causing any damage to anything "Or to me in that matter!" (pistons sill connected) Thanks! :)

Kiekhaeferscurse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bearing removal

Heat Lamp & a bearing splitter come to mind.<br />Not to sure what model your working on, but that top one should just lift off?

geofthro

Seaman

Kiekhaefersurse, Shes another fine 70hp 80's mercury outboard!, I have to tell ya! I love to mess with the merc's! Bearing splitter? Is that similar to a pully puller? Chears!

Kiekhaeferscurse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess its the same thing Geothro,Has 2 threaded rods and a 2 concave halves, wish I could draw..lol<br />I'm a great fan of a little warmth to make those bearings easy to push off, Do you have a press?<br />Cheers

geofthro

Seaman

Kiekhaeferscurse, I don't have a press, But i imagined a bit of grease and maybe tap them on with a small shop hammer. I now have the puller, but still need the heat! Im a great improviser! Will a heat paint gun work? I have one of those kicking around somewhere downstairs! Then again im not trying to be cheap either! :)

Kiekhaeferscurse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

paint gun sounds like a great idea to me, soft dead blow hammer(snap on, or a wooden mallet), I'm a great fan of improvising too, I think Merc makes more money on there tool sales then they do on there motor's!