Bearing installed backward, is it possible?

cheers731

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is my first time experience installing a disc brake kit from Kodiak and have posted a thread a few days ago on rotor not centered in relation to the caliper. After reading the articles at championtrailer web site, there is a warning on "do not install bearing backward". I can't remember how I installed the innerbearing on that wheel and was wondering if I had made that mistake. What will it look like if it's installed backward and what will happen?
I wish Kodiak has provided better istruction with the package.

Thanks,

Frank

raekmike

Seaman
Re: Bearing installed backward, is it possible?

I'm sure there just talking about putting the larger opening of the bearing side in first so it sits on the race proper. They've probably been sued over some goof ball putting the small side in first so the bearings don't roll...lol

My best guess. it's all pretty fool proof for 99% of us.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The bearings are tapered so there is no way that you installed them backwards.

The only way that the two could be out of alignment is if the mounting plate is not perpendicular to the axle shaft.

It?s perfectly normal for the pads on disc brakes to drag on the rotor somewhat. If you?ve not already done it, actuate the brakes several times and watch the pads. They should seat themselves in the first couple of actuations.

How much of a difference do you have front to back?

cheers731

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will give the actuator a try tonight. I am replacing the whole brake system from actuator, brake lines, caliper/hub/disc rotor. The fitting came with the brake line does not fit, I have to get a short steel brake line from auto parts store and resume line installation tonight.

The outer pad catches theouter edge leaving about a quater inch mark on the rotor and a slight drag on wheel turn, not very severe.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Frank

RoyR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Frank,

I'm considering doing this, how much of a pain/cost has it been so far?

Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The outer pad catches theouter edge leaving about a quater inch mark on the rotor and a slight drag on wheel turn, not very severe.
Frank, post a picture of the caliper/disk and maybe we can help you with this.

j_martin

Admiral

It is possible to have the outer race (in the hub) of the inner bearing not fully seated, and have the hub ride a little away from the trailer. If that's true, it'll mess up(loosen) as soon as you load it and roll.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

The bearings all need to be preloaded to the axle.

cheers731

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I filled the brake fluid and bled both calipers late afternoon yesterday but didn't have a chance to check the pad touching the disc rotor because it's getting too dark and mosquitoes are taking me for dinner. I will post few pictures later. Unlike the brake on car, this Titan 60 actuator is hard to push and pull back to pump the fluid through the whole system. Again, I hope I didn't do anything wrong or stuip.
Total cost was close to $500 which includes Titan 60 with block solenoid, brake line kit for single axel and 2 Kodiak 225-SCAD kits (caliper/disc). They gave me wrong flexible brake hose and I have to get a short piece of steel brake line from local auto parts. It was my first time experience to do this and I thought I have done enough research on internet before taking the task. The overall experience wasn't too bad, but I should have done more reading. The instruction from Kodiak was not for the first timer. Please read through the champion trailer web site for this job. I didn't even know the inner bearing is bigger than the outer bearing till I start putting them together. It will be helpful if someone can post a step by step pictures and showing all the mistakes can happen for the first timer. Also, Championtrailer described using shims/washer to correct the misalignment of the bracket which is what I should have done if I will do it over again.
Not too much pain to install the new one but to take the rusty old ones off is the major pain. It takes about 8 hrs if I add all the work time all together but will take less than 3 hrs if I do it again. The learning is priceless, good for the future tailer maintenance and troubleshooting.

Frank

cheers731

Petty Officer 3rd Class

BTW, I have preloaded the bearing by tightening the wheel nut, turned the hub 10 revolutions then loosen it, retightening it with fingers. Again, I didn't know this till everything was installed. I have to take them apart to get the job done right. Part of the learning experience :).

Frank

cheers731

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here are some pictures of the newly installed caliper and rotor. If you look closely at the rotor, there is a shiny ring (about 1/4 inch in width) about half inch from outer edge. It's produced by the pad rubbing against the rotor with a slight degree of drag. I hope the drag will go away after using. I have not tested the whole brake system but will do it this weekend.

Frank