Bearing Grease Seal Help!

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer
I've got a tandem torsion axle trailer and need new grease seals. So I get home and take one hub off to look at and measure the inner bearing and the I.D. of the hub and was immediately confused...

I've got the I.D. of the inner bearing: 1 3/8"
I've got the I.D. of the hub where the old seal was: 2 9/16"

Here's the part that confused me... My spindle has a "step" where the grease seal's rubber part rides. There is a sleeve on that step where you can see how the old seal was riding on it, due to the double line where the double seal was... Here are a few pictures showing you what I mean:

Here it is pulled apart to show you how it "fits together":
DSCF1016.jpg

Here's what it would look like "riding":
DSCF1015.jpg

I'm not sure how to order my seals! Do I order the bearing I.D. seals (1 3/8") or do I order the O.D. of the sleeve (1 3/4")???

Any ideas?

oline62

Cadet
Re: Bearing Grease Seal Help!

you should be able to go to most any automotive store and buy bearing kits that have everything you need to redo your bearings. I redid mine at the start of the summer and the kit was $16 for 2 bearings, seals, grease, end nut and cotter pin.

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for that tip. I still don't know what size to get given the little silver sleeve though!

All I need are the grease seals. Bearings are in fine shape. Cotter pins: I've got lots of them laying around. Still have my castle nuts too...

I'd rather spend $16 on only the parts that I need than $64 and have a bunch I don't need!

Thanks though!

Has anyone else seen a sleeve like that on a spindle? Seems odd to me!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

What kind of trailer?

EZ loader and TrailRite use a factory "spindle seal" and use a specific seal

FWIW: That sleeve look awfully worn. Suggest replacing both the seal and the spindle seal

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

look up the number printed on the bearing, then search for the seal from that.

While you got it all apart why not change the bearings too? Just curious.:)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Rather than looking at the bearing part number, look at the seal part number. The bearings are standard. The seal must match the sleeve that rides on what is normally a seal journal on a standard spindle. NAPA, AutoZone, O'Riley etc., should be able to match the seal. The bearing part number will be of no help in this application. Some of the "seal savers" (the sleeve) were made available as a repair for a bad seal journal on a standard spindle.