Bearing Failure - Spindle Damage Question

jerms234

Cadet
Hi fellow iBoaters,

I'm looking at purchasing a 2002 Fourwinns H200. While looking it over with the owner I found that one of the hubs on the trailer has a failed bearing and he and I removed it quickly to find that the spindle has damage. It looks like the spindle is not replaceable, would you all suggest replacement? The trailer is rated at 7000lbs so i'd assume that both axles are 3500lb axels. Can I replace this axle with a standard axle I can order from my trailer supply shop? or do I need a special submersible axle?

Thanks,

Attachments

• photo223157.jpg
    photo223157.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1

UncleWillie

Captain
That Spindle is not lost yet!
The inner race needs to be removed and the remains of the outer bearing are still showing.
Clean it up! Get the old parts off and power brush the spindle. It does not have to be immaculate.
You have an EZ-Lube Spindle. Before installing the Hub, replace the Zerk, and pump grease through it 'till it runs clean,
The grease seal surface need to be smooth, and yours does not look bad.

The spindle only supports the Bearing Inner Races, it is NOT a bearing surface.
As long as you can get the inner races of the new bearings back on, without excessive play, you will be fine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That spindle is toast. That is not remains of a bearing. That is a worn out spindle.

Often, you can call the trailer manufacturer of the trailer, give them the serial number of the trailer, and they will give you the specs of the axle. With my trailer, I did just that and drove down to the trailer manufacturer that was around an hours drive away and they made me the exact axle for a little over $200.

Last edited:

Smurph

Cadet
After looking closer, yep its toast. Look at the area where the bearing race's fit. Has been ground away so new bearings won't fit that spindle nice and tight I'd say. It could be done, but if you like the boat chances are you will be pulling it for awhile. I'd replace that axle.

Pony

Rear Admiral
That spindle is toast. That is not remains of a bearing. That is a worn out spindle.

Often, you can call the trailer manufacturer of the trailer, give them the serial number of the trailer, and they will give you the specs of the axle. With my trailer, I did just that and drove down to the trailer manufacturer that was around an hours drive away and they made me the exact axle for a little over $200.

I just did this a few weeks ago. New stock axle with hubs for $260 shipped. There are other aftermarket axles out there that I could have bought for less, but my axle is sort of "v" shaped for the keel to float over it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would replace the axle and trailer on, but only after visually checking the other spindles/axles as well to verify they are good. Don't even try to use that spindle/axle ever again... JMHO!

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What everyone said, axle is toast, they aren't that expensive .