BEARING BUDDY REMOVAL

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have water coming out the front of my bearing<br />buddies and I believe the rear seal needs to be changed because of grease on axle.<br />How do I remove existing bearing buddies to clean<br />up and reseal?

tommays

Admiral
Re: BEARING BUDDY REMOVAL

you have to take a block of wood and a hammer and tap it side to side and kind of wiggel it out<br /><br />it should move fairly easy and not get dammaged buy removeing it<br /><br /><br />tommays

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you can't pull a cork out of a bottle straight, you sometimes have to work it from side to side to get it out. It's the same kind of action you need to remove your BB's.<br /><br />And if you've got water coming out, you'll need a bearing kit as well as a rear grease seal.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup, what they said. You can get yourself a plastic hammer and bash the snot out of it--I found that easier than the hammer/wood block procedure.

Gone Again

Cadet

A plastic hammer does work best, but be careful. Tap on the outer edge of the BB as you turn the wheel and try to remove it as straight as possible. If you **** it too much you can actually "bell" the hub. When this happens the BB will not be as tight in the hub and could come off when going down the road.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Jack it up, spin the wheel slowly while tapping toward you on the side of the BB with a rubber mallet. It'll walk off as you tap around the perimeter of the BB, and eventually fall on the ground.<br /><br />As for your rear seal, you gotta take the hub all the way off. Most trailers have a cotter pin/single hub nut setup. You'll also want to know how to inspect and then properly repack and preload the bearings so they're properly adjusted.<br /><br />Do a Google search on "repack trailer bearings" and you'll find all kinds of walk-thru procedures with photos & the works.

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used the block and wood and it worked like a charm. I was actually surprised at how easy it was to take off. The grease seal is another story though. I tried to pry it off but it looks as if I am going to have to hammer it out with the inner bearing.<br />Thanks for the info. on the bb removal.

gutshot grouper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get a seal puller from NAPA, about $8, I finally did and wonder why it took so long , Ignorant in Raleigh

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Ditto on just going out to buy the seal puller tool. If you hammer on the bearing itself, plan on replacing it. A great big screwdriver can usually get the seal out as well but you run a higher risk of slipping and damaging the hub or bearing.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ooh, good idea on the seal puller tool. I've been watching the rear seals and the end is near. Some have seen me muttering to myself as to how I would get them out. It's great learning new stuff.

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My mechanic recommended using a fine straight edged screwdriver and hitting one side between hub and seal. Worked great on first one. Next one had locktite on it. What a pain!