Bearing buddy question

I have a tandom axle trailer that I tow my 20' Chaparral. I had the trailer overhauled two years ago (new brakes, hydraulic fluid replaced and bearing repacked) at a local boat dealership near my house. Everytime I trailer my boat, I would inspect my bearing buddies to ensure the grease fittings are still "floating". If not, I would pump in grease until they were. After a 100 miles (round trip) of towing and reinspecting my bearing buddies, I would see that the grease fittings are no longer "floating". I normally don't tow it long distances but, do a few time a season. Normally, it only a few miles to my nearest boat launch. Is it normal for my bearing buddies to consume that much grease or is there something else going on? Any input would be greatly appreciated! - Thank you!

642mx

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bearing buddy question

The buddy's on my Heritage trailer are always thirsty for grease too. I lube them often.

Your seal in the back maybe letting grease out, you might want to see if its slinging grease out of it.

Bifflefan

Commander

For BB's to work correctly the entire insode of the hub has to be full of grease. When you had the bearings repacked, they probably did not fill the center with grease, so as you pump the grease in it gets up to the outer bearing and makes the BB float. as you run down the road the grease flows through the bearing and fills the section between the inner and outer bearings. Eventually you will get it full. Then you wont worry so much.

For me i took off the BB's off and toss them in the trash.
I repacked the bearings and once a year or so just pop off the cap and see if there is any water in there, if no then i put back on and all is well, if yes then i take it apart and repair as needed. I have only ever had water in one and not yet had a bearing failure.

tfret

Chief Petty Officer

Just got back from a hour long tow trip. I topped off my bearing buddies before I left. When I got back I had grease slung all over the inside of my wheels. What does this mean and what do I need to do?

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a tandom axle trailer that I tow my 20' Chaparral. I had the trailer overhauled two years ago (new brakes, hydraulic fluid replaced and bearing repacked) at a local boat dealership near my house. Everytime I trailer my boat, I would inspect my bearing buddies to ensure the grease fittings are still "floating". If not, I would pump in grease until they were. After a 100 miles (round trip) of towing and reinspecting my bearing buddies, I would see that the grease fittings are no longer "floating". I normally don't tow it long distances but, do a few time a season. Normally, it only a few miles to my nearest boat launch. Is it normal for my bearing buddies to consume that much grease or is there something else going on? Any input would be greatly appreciated! - Thank you!

As alreadly mentioned this is normal, and it's what bearing buddies are designed to do. Eventually you'll fill up the hub, but until then it's important to keep pumping in the grease so that fresh grease gets pushed into the inside bearing.

I'm a huge fan of bearing buddies because they are the only effective way to insure that fresh grease gets pushed back to the inside bearing. Just pumping grease into regular hubs is useless because there's no way to insure that the fresh grease that's grit and water free will eventually make it to the inside bearing. By putting pressure on the grease, BBs solve that problem.

To Tfret: Some grease coming out the inside seal is normal, but if a lot of grease is coming through it's because your inside bearing seal is shot.

It's foolish to replace just the seal unless you just did your bearings a short time ago. If it's been more than a year, I'd say overhaul and repack all bearings in that hub, replacing the seal at the same time of course.

Grouse

onwaves

Cadet

Super Lube Hubs...will never use bearing buddies and traditional hubs again. Super Lubes removes all doubts on the condition of grease in hub. No chance of blowing the rear seal. Any grease coming out the rear seal of a hub means the seal is bad. Caused by over pumping grease into the bearing buddy.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

As alreadly mentioned this is normal, and it's what bearing buddies are designed to do. Eventually you'll fill up the hub, but until then it's important to keep pumping in the grease so that fresh grease gets pushed into the inside bearing.

I'm a huge fan of bearing buddies because they are the only effective way to insure that fresh grease gets pushed back to the inside bearing. Just pumping grease into regular hubs is useless because there's no way to insure that the fresh grease that's grit and water free will eventually make it to the inside bearing. By putting pressure on the grease, BBs solve that problem.

To Tfret: Some grease coming out the inside seal is normal, but if a lot of grease is coming through it's because your inside bearing seal is shot.

It's foolish to replace just the seal unless you just did your bearings a short time ago. If it's been more than a year, I'd say overhaul and repack all bearings in that hub, replacing the seal at the same time of course.

Grouse

If there is any grease coming out of the inside seal when BBs are used, it should be very little. BBs are only supposed to be pressurized to a maximum of 3psi

???

Carusoswi

Seaman Apprentice

Super Lube Hubs...will never use bearing buddies and traditional hubs again. Super Lubes removes all doubts on the condition of grease in hub. No chance of blowing the rear seal. Any grease coming out the rear seal of a hub means the seal is bad. Caused by over pumping grease into the bearing buddy.

Newer versions of Bearing Buddies are designed so that excess grease is expelled around that little blue ring that floats out to tell you the hub has all the grease it needs. I doubt you would experience a failure due to too much grease using that version of the product.

. . . and when I say newer, well, they were the newer version when I swapped out previous Bearing Buddies for this new and improved product some, gosh, 7 years ago. . . . haven't had occasion to remove wheels or replace bearings since. I just keep 'em full of grease and keep going on.

The poster who mentioned grease flying all over his wheel may have the same Bearing Buddy product that I have. When full, the grease comes oozing out around the outer blue ring with each subsequent squeeze of the grease gun trigger. You can wipe most excess grease away with a rag, but some will remain and ooze out as you drive, and that grease will be thown onto your wheels. The solution is a rubber or vinyl cap that you can buy to cover the Bearing Buddy. Slide that on, press it in the center to expel air. This creates a vacuum that holds the cap onto the hub.

No more grease-soiled wheels. Works like a charm.

Like other posters, I am a huge fan of bearing buddies. Before installing them, I was always faced with having to pull the wheel to re-pack the bearings. Not a hugely difficult or time consuming chore, but certainly more time-consuming than simply sliding off that cap, hooking up my grease gun, and working some new grease into the Bearing Buddy system.

This whole discussion brings back memories of me and my dad when he was just a about the age I am now. I don't know if he was going through one of those late mid-life crisis, whether he was drinking too much (bless his heart, he did drink some (so do I)), or what, but as we hooked up our 20-foot Dorseet runabout to the back of the station wagon, I asked him if he had greased the hubs yet this (that) year (I had just completed my freshman year in college). He told me it was self-lubricating, LOL. Not wanting to spoil our trip (and Lord knows I had spent enough time arguing with him over the years over who knows what), I just didn't challenge that statement.

We pull the boat some one-hours drive up to the lake, back her in, and one of the trailer wheels comes floating to the top.

The bearing had obviously overheated due to lack of lubrication, scoring and probably heating up the axle as well. When the assembly hit that cold water, the axle spindle just snapped right off.

I let Daddy spend the day fishing from the shore while I ran around gathering necessary parts to make the repair (an activity that was no less fun that would have been the fishing).

By the end of the day, all was well, he had another drink - one in which I joined him. I am so glad that I didn't turn "told-you-so" smart aleck that day. We always loved each other, and he always supported me 100% in whatever I chose to pursue. The trip was one of only a few trips we would take together, mainly because pursuing a career saps that precious commodity of time. He would live another 20 years, but I would not have the luxury of time in the summers to spend fishing with him.

These days, while I have my own growing family to keep me company, my immediate family of that era is no more except for me - so hard to believe.

Daddy had a stroke at age 71 back in '87, and Mom just passed away April of '09 at '93, twin sis gone at the hands of Leukemia back in '97, so its just old cast-iron me these days - no infirmities, just fond memories.

Who would have thought a posting about Bearing Buddies would turn out like this. I guess grease can do that to you.

Happy boating.

Caruso

tfret

Chief Petty Officer

How on earth do you get the BB's back off in order to service the bearings and seals?

mrcj001

Petty Officer 1st Class

How on earth do you get the BB's back off in order to service the bearings and seals?

Take a rubber mallet, and tap around the BB until they work loose.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Must be the seal because generally the buddies only need a grease shot twice a year.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you are seeing grease slung on the inside of the wheels, your rear bearing seal is shot. Very common on high use trailers. You will need to pull wheel, brakes, and hub to remove and replace the rear seal.

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

If there is any grease coming out of the inside seal when BBs are used, it should be very little. BBs are only supposed to be pressurized to a maximum of 3psi

Jay, in terms of mileage, how long do you expect rear seals to last?

I do multiple 1000 mile round trip hauls to Canada each year with my fishing boat. Of course, for these expeditions, the boat also serves as a covered gear hauler on the way up and back, so it's loaded with hundreds of pounds of fuel, food, ice, etc. It's a 14 foot alu v-hull and I've upgraded the wheels to 12 inch to lower the RPMs.

The poor roads and the weight are very hard on bearings (and tires and welds and . . .) and to avoid midnight road-side repairs in the middle of nowhere, I'm parnoid about keeping the bearings greased. I usually add grease at a fuel stop about halfway into the trip up and then again about halfway back.

I've noticed at least some seapage around the seals at 1000 miles. At 2000 miles, there's usually a little grease spattered on the insides of the wheels.

Are seals usually shot at that point? I usually replace bearings every 2 years, but I suppose I could pull the hubs and just do the seals every year. Usually upon inspecting the old bearings after overhaul, they are pitted, but not unreasonably so.

Thoughts?

Grouse

Mi duckdown

Commander

If you are seeing grease spattered on the inside of wheels, two things have happened. Bad inner seals, or putting to much grease to the bearing buddies.
Most people Think, Hey I'm going to driving 1000 miles, better add more grease.
Wrong. Couple squirts once a year is fine.
That spring on the outside should never be MAXED out. No room for exspansion, equals grease slung all over the inner hubs

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I've had them last for years. I also agree that you don't have to grease them constantly and that you should never fill them to the point that the spring-loaded plate is pushed all the way out. I generally don't grease at any particular interval. I might re-grease, if it seems like a long time since I did it last, but I mostly just watch the spring plate - if it is recessed into the hub all the way, I give the hub a few shots of "green marine" grease. Other than than, I leave them alone, except to pull the hubs about once a year, to inspect the bearing races, axle, etc.

???