Bearing Buddy maintenance

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just picked up my boat from winter storage last night. I'd like to tune up my bearing buddies to make sure they're doing what they are supposed to be doing. I'm not that familiar with them though and I've only had this boat and trailer for a year. I took off the black rubber bearing buddy bra and took a quick glance inside. I noticed there is a lot of grease (at least a tablespoon's worth) surrounding the grease point in the center of the bearing buddy. Is this normal? I'm wondering if I have a seal is broken or if there is way too much grease packed in?  <br /><br />What steps do I need to do to make sure these are in working order?

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bearing Buddy maintenance

Bearing Buddy is nothing but a glorified grease cap with a spring that maintains some positive pressure. If your bearings haven't been repacked within the past 2 to 3 years, it's time. Knock the BB off with a rubber mallet, disassemble the hub, and inspect and repack the wheel bearings. When you reassemble you'll want to pack the hub completely full of grease with no air pockets. Reinstall the BB and give it a few pumps of grease every so often to keep the BB pressurized and keep a little tension on the spring. It will settle gradually while it purges the air out over time.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Push it with your finger to see if there's any pressure on the spring - if it gives at all, there's enough grease inside - if not add a little. You have a black rubber bra, eh? I probably should get one of those - one of my nipples dribbles a little - I mean the grease nipple on the bearing buddy - didn't do that when it was new - probably could be replaced - but in your case a tablespoon over the winter doesn't sound so bad - but it doesn't mean a seal is bad. It's not holding pressure - it stops leaking once the pressure equalizes - the bearing is still lubricated.<br /><br />Leaky seal, you'll see grease on the back side of the wheel. Look for it every once in awhile. I ran one whole season with leaky seals - not so bad, just a little bit coming out on both wheels - had to add grease every trip - didn't do any damage - but I'm not recommending that.

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Buddy Bearings are not going to be your buddy if you pump to much grease into them. The pressure will knock out the gasket in the back end of the bearing and allow water to enter the bearings. I suggest you use the buddy bearings very little. You should check out the bearing assembly before every season. I just had mine done today and the mechanic has a new greese that just came out that is suppose to be better that the old stuff. He is going to get me the name of it and see if it comes in a tube so i could use it.<br />I pump the grease into the buddy bearings just before I go down the ramp to put my boat in the water. Now you will have some fresh greese in the bearings to protect against the water

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Bigalf, what kind of new grease is the mechanic using? Can you get the name and post it?

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

As soon as I get thename I'll pass it on.