Be safe

magster65

Commander
I can't find the article to link to but there was an awful boating accident here on Saturday. At the local ski beach two boats were running parallel to each other, a 24' Cigarette and a 19' open bow 'something'. It was witnessed by dozens of people watching from the shore right in front of where it happened. They were both just up on plane and the driver of the open bow (tourist in a borrowed boat) misjudged the distance between them and suddenly to cut in front of the Cigarette. The Cigarette ran right over it and it's 4 occupants, capsizing it in the process. One man lost his leg and another younger girl is in serious condition with similar injuries. <br />Be safe my boating friends and pay extra attention to the 'other guy'!<br />Peace out.

D

DJ

Re: Be safe

Idiot parade.<br /><br />Those idiots will ruin it for the rest of us.<br /><br />My best to those suffering.<br /><br />Thanks Mag.<br /><br />I have a soultion. <br /><br />Instead of sending the idiots to jail or public service, I suggest an annual "idiot parade" where the townspeople can poke fun at and deride the morons.<br /><br />Might get potential idiots brains "sparked".

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

DJ, that was kinda harsh, maybe the guy just made a mistake.<br /><br />Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Another guy who thinks he knows what he is doing but hasn't a clue.<br /><br />Lots like that operating boats these days.

magster65

Commander

I like that idiot parade idea :) <br />I feel for this family though. They obviously have little or no experience on the water and a moments bad decision will affect the rest of thier lives in a huge way. My bud Jordan was there skiing, he said there was a huge crowd of people helping within seconds because of where they were. Even the fella driving the Cigarette jumped in the water to help (this is the Pacific Ocean). Without the quick actions of the other boaters and skiers he said 2 of 4 in that boat would probably have bled to death. They're lucky to be alive... the Cigarette is a twin screw and it went right through the center of the boat. Yikes!<br />There is an investigation, I'll post the findings of the police report when it's released.

baja power

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Was this a REAL cigarette powerboat or just the media stereotyping go-fast boaters as in " is that one of them there cigarette boats" or " that cigarette boat just flew through the channel"

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Just more evidence that you should stay away from cigarettes.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Agree that the problem with this sort of incident is that it can affect us all; no doubt someone wil call for more regulation.<br /><br />I feel sorry for the victims in these events; a great day out spoiled forever.<br /><br />As far as the idiot side of it goes we used to say in the Coastguard that the one "tick-box" that wasn't on our report forms was "Stupidity" under Cause of Accident...........

magster65

Commander

It was a real Cigarette boat. I learned today that it's a 'friend of a friend' that owns it. I know the boat, I thought it was a type of boat not a brand as well. The owner, understandably, is in rough shape too... sick.<br />It's a restored 80's unit with two 350 / bravo's in it. It's a beautiful boat... it only got some hull scratches and 1 prop dinged in the collision. The other boat flipped and got a 3 foot hole in the side of it. Scary stuff for sure.<br />I'm waiting for the big crackdown on all boaters now because this rookie crashed. It's coming.<br />What a sad turn of events...

baja power

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by magster65:<br /> It was a real Cigarette boat. I learned today that it's a 'friend of a friend' that owns it. I know the boat, I thought it was a type of boat not a brand as well. The owner, understandably, is in rough shape too... sick.<br />It's a restored 80's unit with two 350 / bravo's in it. It's a beautiful boat... it only got some hull scratches and 1 prop dinged in the collision.
Oh my god. <br /><br />somthing like this?<br /><br /><br />
cigarette%202_IMG_JPG.jpg
<br /><br /><br />these boats are classics. Don arrnow used theres as a Promo in his early days. buy a larger cig and got this one free as a tender.. :( :( :( :( :( hope the boat is restoreable

baja power

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> Just more evidence that you should stay away from cigarettes.
what’s that supposed to mean? because there fast means there dangerous? remember, the cig wasn’t the at-fault vehicle yet someone still bad mouths them :mad:

magster65

Commander

There's more on this now... it turns out I know both of the people in this accident. It's a sad turn of events. The smaller boat is/was a 14' open fiberglass (looks like lapstrake) unit. In it was my bud (I'll call him K), his cousin and his cousin's daughter. All they know is that they were putting along slowly in front of the beach and the Cigarette ran them over. They knew the Cig. was behind them and assumed he knew that they were there in front of him (about 50 feet). K looked back just as the Cig. was about to hit but it was too late to do anything. The fella' in the Cig. (I'll call him S) didn't see them. K and S are friends too. All S knows is that he was putting along and went to get onto plane and he heard a big thump so he shut down the throttle, looked back and saw a boat and 1 person pop up. S quickly turned around and helped K pull his cousin to the side of the boat where he held onto him. K went into the water 4 times before he found the daughter pinned to the capsized boats seat by the PFD. She was revived (mouth to mouth) on the back of the Cig. by K then they pulled the cousin in. The daughter has two broken legs and some deep lacerations and the cousin lost his leg mid-shin. I can't imagine what a horrible scene that must have been. The police arrived about 10 minutes after the crash just as K and S had everyone ready to get back to the ramp to meet the ambulance. They wanted to ask questions and put the injured in the slower police boat but S had dialed 911 and the ambulance was on route so they ignored the police and the 4 of them sped off with the police in pursuit. They made the 4 mile trip in no time and got the injured into the ambulance. The police arrived during the transfer, they were apparently pee'd right off about the whole thing and impounded the Cig. They still have it today. Like I said... what a sad turn of events. The two people hurt are doing ok but both K and S are emotional 'basket-cases'. No charges have been laid... yet.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

magster65, really a tragic story, but could have been much worse had they not acted quickly. Hope all are able to remain friends after all this.<br /><br />Baja power, I was referring to cigarettes, as in puff puff smoke cough.

magster65

Commander

Unfortunately I don't think there's going to be any friendship left after the lawyers get involved. Hopefully everyone is insured.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wow<br /> how sad. totaly avoidable yet it happens. takes a moment of a lapse in judgement or lookout and bad things happen. which is why I try to stay as far away from other boats as I can whether they are overtaking me or I am overtaking them. we have a situation brewing here in kitty hawk like that. our public ramp is a mile or so from the sound. takes 10 min to run from the ramp to the sound at 25 MPH or so. the ditch is very narrow and nothing but swamp marsh on both sides. its also about 2.5 ft deep and full of grass,mud and debris so most folk plane the boat to prevent damage. but with the kayack eco tours and the increasing traffic its a matter of time before we have a newspaper event here. we have already had some gelcoat busters but nothing major so far. my sympathies go out for your friends. its sad anyway ya go about it.