Baystar steering

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
So I’ve cheaped out and went for a great deal on a baystar system. Despite a few pros saying I need a sea star ideally. I’ve no doubt they are correct, but the price of them is a hard one to take and thought I’d try this first.
now when you read the next but I can already hear you all shouting “but the baystar does up to 150hp”.
it’s a 2.1l 115 merc CT with big gearcase and big props I have. Amazingly it was fitted with cable steering when it was fitted a few years ago.
Being kind to it...the torque steer as is, is nothing short of monumental and even verging on dangerous at slow planing speeds in conditions that don’t allow a little more pace and trim. Faster displacement speeds too. The first mentioned would literally result in an accident should I let the steering go.
Anyway...I’ve tried to cheap out with trim anode fins and all that. Off sets etc etc (even after having to buy the cut away fin...and cut more off it again).
The recommendations say up to 150 for most cases for baystar but the pros tell me time after time that it’s not quite up to the CT gearbox and 2.1l most times. It’s not a mega performance hull, but quick enough thing and 19ft deep v.
I read that changing to the bigger sea star hoses can make a difference on the baystar.
would love to hear all opinions and especially those that have first hand experience with a merc 2.1 115 mariner 115 2.1CT 2.1 and pro Xs 115 2.1. What is the consensus guys ? The usual guys that I’m forever learning from please reply too. Thanks.
@Scott Danforth @alldodge @achris @Bondo @Lou C amongst others too. You know who you are.
thanks !

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Just realised there is a steering section. Apologies and please move if you need to.
Allan.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
cable steering is standard up to about 150hp

increasing hose size wont increase pressure, only allow more flow.

so what issue are you having?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
cable steering is standard up to about 150hp

increasing hose size wont increase pressure, only allow more flow.

so what issue are you having?
Huge torque steer at certain speeds (obviously I can nearly neutralise it with trim and more speed but that means about touching 30mph. I don’t often want to go that fast...and literally can’t go that fast in bad weather here. Most comfortable at early 20’s...right where the torque steer is from big prop and geae) to the point of being silly.
I’ve yet to fit the system Scott, but for sure the bigger diameter hoses from sea star should help a little.
I’m raising the engine a hole at same time I fit the steering. That will help a little too.