bayliner volvo engine problems

rickiefs

Cadet
1983bayliner 16ft volvo 105 hp i think , had all the lower drive bearings and impeller replaced! got the boat in july. first of all the boat was sitting inside for two years .took it out a few weeks ago and it started right up. but putted for 5 mins or so. after it warmed up it ran great. took it out of the water and the next week added 5gals of new gas. started up fine but took a little longer to get going again.it was bogging a lot more . had new points ,plugs and cap put on it!i took the carb apart . the guy at the marina<br />said just to replace the gaskets and clean it up real good .accel pump looks fine! he said it would be around 25.00 for the gaskets. is there <br />more i should do besides replace the gaskets?could it be i have not run all the old gas out yet?the carb really dont look that dirty inside. i took some 3m carb cleaner and cleaned everything out. help ! thanks rick

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice
Re: bayliner volvo engine problems

These engines typically take a few minutes to warm up. Dont even leave the dock until the operating temperature hits 180 deg.<br /><br />What do you mean by bogging?<br /><br />How many RPM's can you reach underload?<br /><br />How fast can you go?<br /><br />Once the engine is warmed up at acceleration are you getting any hesitation, backfire, or pinging?

rickiefs

Cadet

bogging ,meaning it seems like it was starving for gas and not going over 10 mph.iam new at boating but know a little about engines.the one day it took off just fine. speed was around 38.but when i let it set for an hour or so and started it up ,it would take a while for it to get going again. the last time i took it out it backfired a few times and really ran bad.a few weeks before i sprayed carb cleaner<br />inside and out.i am woundering if that made it worse? could it be bad gas is still in there ? or <br />maybe fuel pump? i just spent 1,400 to have all the bearings replaced. if its something i can fix myself it would safe me a ton of money and my wife saying its a lemon!ha!ha!the guy really did take good care of it.and he said it ran fine 2 years ago. could it be the gas? i know i didnt run it all out.

rickiefs

Cadet

well today i put the carb back on and it was **** to get started. haVE TO KEEP IT HALFWAY TO KEEP IT RUNNING. BACKFIRED A FEW TIMES THREW THE CARB<br />WHEN I TRIED TO STARTED IT.THERE IS ONLY TWO SCREWS, ONE FOR IDLE AND THE OTHER FOR AIR. I PLAYED WITH THE AIR A LITTLE BUT NOTHING HAPPENED!<br />I REPLACED THE GASKETS AND CLEANED IT OUT. NOW WHAT? SEEMS LIKE I HAVE TO MOVE THE THROTTLE BACK AND FORTH TO KEEP IT RUNNING . OR HALF WAY AND IT WILL RUN .IT WONT EVEN IDLE NOW!

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

Check the electrical side of things. Has the float been set to the right height? :cool:

rickiefs

Cadet

could it be the igntion coil? i will look at the electrical part today.anyway to check the coil?<br />like i said i just had the points and plugs changed too. the more i think about it ,it could be something with the electric side . theres a leak coming in from the lower unit somewere. they replaced all the bearings on it and had to pulll the motor also.maybe the water thats been coming in is shorting or shorted something out.the wiring on this motor is not very good . i have only had it for a few months .its an 1983. thanks<br />rich