Bayliner Capri 3.0 to 4.3 engine swap?

mkmarquis

Cadet
I have a 1990 Bayliner Capri (model 2050)with a 3.0 4cylinder. Can the 3.0 be swapped with a 4.3 6cylinder. Would it be worth doing so? <br /><br />I have swapped many an engine out of cars before but never a boat.<br /><br />Any advice would be appreciated.<br /><br />Mike

D

DJ

Re: Bayliner Capri 3.0 to 4.3 engine swap?

mkmarquis,<br /><br />Bayliner is ONE boat company that actually manufactures their boats depebding upon which I/O will be installed. The hull thicknesses, etc. ARE different for boats with different powerplants.

mkmarquis

Cadet

OK, so sounds like if I want more power, better off getting different boat?<br /><br />Mike

THard

Cadet

I've got an 89 bayliner and Djohns has helped me quite a bit. He knows what he is talking about. If you want to get rid of yourboat try ebay.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Djohns is right... this is not an economically viable thing...sell the boat an buy what you want....

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

mkmarquis,<br />Are you only looking for more power? <br />There was a similar post where someone wanted to upgrade from a straight 6 to a V8. Everyone on the board talked them out of it and suggested that they spend some money on tuning the six. <br />One of the main advantages was no significant weight gain to the boat and hopefully some extra horse power. <br /><br />Just a thought if you still like the boat!

D

DJ

mkmarquis,<br /><br />A lot depends on what yuou are looking for. The 3.0L really does not have any room for getting more power out of it. The marinizers (Merc/Volvo)<br />have done a great job getting as many ponies out of this engine as they do.<br /><br />If you are looking for a greater holeshot, you may want to consider a "switch pitch" prop. These are not cheap, yet they work quite well on the 3.0 equipped boats. These props allow you to dial in two different pitches. The prop switches (like changing gears) depending upon load.<br /><br />The articles I have read all seemed to point to one in particular that seems to work the best. It manufactured by Land and Sea. www.land-and-sea.com<br /><br />Might be worth checking out.

GarageGuy42

Seaman

Gentlemen:<br />Been reading over these posts, MK wants to try an engine swap. I'm the knothead that wanted to swap the inline 6 for the v-8. I checked out the site for the torque shift prop. I didn't know they made such a thing. Veeeery interesting! Has anyone used them on this board and how effective are they really? It's pretty pricey but would be ok if it worked out. There is nothing worse than buying that special tool that does it all and then let it sit in your toolbox and use use it once every 10 years. I like this board alot and respect all your gents input. Even when you laugh at our/my dumda** suggestions. <br />By the way, When do I get to be a captain and do I get one of those really cool hats.

mkmarquis

Cadet

I requested a catalog sent to me and I'll check it out. They are expensive, but... if one is satisfied with their boat in all other repects... one of these props may be the ticket if they work as described. Cheaper that buying a new engine or a new boat! And this prop can go with you if you do change boats.<br /><br />Did you check out the video on the web page? Its pretty cool! I never saw a boat do a wheely like that before.<br /><br />Mike

mkmarquis

Cadet

Also, I have been seeing on other posts in the archives, and the one in this thread, stateing that its not really worth hopping up the 3.0 4cylinder. As you can do a lot of mods ($$$$$$)but for not much HP gain as what it comes with from factory. <br /><br />Sounds like you would have to do a total high performance rebuild on it. And its a small block so I don't know how much boring you could do. The goal I would imagine is to build it for higher RPM's. So I am guessing all heavy duty race bearings, caps, different pistons, etc, and a larger carb. Sounds like too much for my pocket anyway. :) <br /><br />What about a turbo charger? LOL I had a Chrystler Labarron with a turbo charged 2.2 that would hold up to the 4.3 I have in my Chevy Blazer now. Seriously though, I don't want to turbo charge it. <br /><br />I'm going to wait till I get it out on the water and monitor the RPS's at full acceleration and see what kind of prop pitch the engine can take. Then I'll look at those shifting props again I think.<br /><br />Mike

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

MK [and the rest of you guys]...be careful of the torque shift [2 speed] props...you must remember, horse power, and horsepower alone [all else being equal] will increase the speed of your boat....a two speed prop will get you out of the hole faster, pull toys better, but it will NOT make your boat go any faster than the correct pitch 'standard' prop will...

mkmarquis

Cadet

Thanks for the advice ODDD1. It is much appreciated. There appears to not be too many experienced with these shifting props. They sound really great in theory. I, as a new boater, am learning alot with this forum :) <br /><br />Mike