Bayliner 1900 / Force 125 Questions

tjthorson

Seaman
Hi all! I am fairly new to boating and bought my first boat last fall and have about 30 hours of captaining under my belt.<br /><br />I bought a 1985 Bayliner 1900 cuddy with a 125 Force (Chrysler....ugh....) Outboard. A few small cracks in the gel coat here and there, around mounting points and such, but no chips or scratches in the hull - no bottom paint and all the goodies with the trailer for $2900.<br /><br />Obviously some day I will move up to a bigger/sturdier boat, but for now this one seems to be fine (except for the things that I did
biggrin.gif
)<br /><br />I have some questions about the boat:<br />The floor is soft in two areas. No one else notices except me (I am 340 lbs.) I can walk on it, but it seems soft. Can I use regular wolmanized plywood to replace the floor? Or do I *have* to use a marine plywood?<br /><br />How can I tell if the transom is soft? There are no cracks in the gel coat in that area, but if I lift up and down on the bottom of the motor while it is up in the air, the whole transom seems to flex about 1/4" or so.<br /><br />Now about the motor. I knwo that nearly everyone hates the old force motors. SO far, this thing for 2 seasons has started every time and seems to run fine. I had some idling trouble, but again, I mixed too much oil and had to clean out the carbs and it was better. The boat does about 30 MPH, I do not have a tach to tell what RPM I am at. I am currently running a 19 pitch prop which I think is too much. I just bought a 17 to try tomorrow.<br /><br />The BIG problem is what happened to me last week. We went to Wisconsin on a vacation and took the boat. I put it into the Wisconsin river and had 8 people in the boat and 2 in a tube. The boat wouldn't go over 5 mph. I dumped off a bunch of people and the boat did 10. I finally realized (newbie mistake!) that the water was 12 inches deep and I had the full lower unit in the sand the whole time. About that time I noticed that, the overheat buzzer went off. I shut it down and came home. I took the lower unit off, changed the water pump and the riser water tube was PLUGGED with sand all the way. I tried to use compressed air from the ports on the back, and plugging the exhaust, but that wouldn't work. I worked out all the sand to the top with a coat hanger and flushed with water. Then I used compressed air to try and flush the rest out. I hooked up the water earmuffs and it was spitting a little, but after 2-3 minutes of idling, the buzzer went off again. I am taking it to a local lake tomorrow to try it in deep water. Is there still a blockage in the block? If I was getting SOME water spitting out the ports on back should I run it and let itself clean out? Is there something on top I can remove and check? Is there a thermostat? Thanks for any and all replies, sorry for the long windwd post - I have been on my own for so long with this boat and an unsure what to do!<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />1985 Bayliner 1900 cuddy w/125 Force

tjthorson

Seaman
Re: Bayliner 1900 / Force 125 Questions

Well, I answered one question. I removed the plugs, cranked the motor, and kept the earmuffs on while I put a wet vac on the thermostat housing. Must have about 5 pounds of sand to put in the kids sandbox now.<br /><br />Head was cool to the touch after 7 minutes of idling. Woo-hoo!<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />1985 Bayliner 1900 cuddy w/125 Force

sho305

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, get that thing cleaned out!<br /><br />I have read that any exterior grade plywood is ok to use. Some of the cheap stuff tends to have more knots and voids in it though, and better stuff like Douglas fir is stronger. More importantly you need to get some epoxy, and paint the finished wood pieces to waterproof them, and mat areas of wear or strength. Any wood that gets wet and stays wet will come apart, treated or not. So get it waterproof to make it last. <br /><br />Also be very careful where you cut and screw in the boat. Try to cut at the edge of the existing piece when replacing it, and not too deep.

tjthorson

Seaman

Wow. Thanks for replying. This post was from last year. I have actually sold that boat and picked up a new Sylvan 2030 I/O space ship deck boat....<br /><br />But thanks!

what200

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad you sold it. Sounds like your transom was jello.