Battle of the Bulge

D

DJ

No, I'm not talking about Christmas "pigging out". :( <br /><br />How many recall that The Battle of the Bulge started sixty years ago December 16th and lasted through Jan. 25th.?<br /><br />19,000 Americans lost their lives in that one campaign alone. My, how attitudes have changed in the battles for freedom. Many would argue that particular event turned the tide of the war in Europe against the Nazi's.<br /><br />My many thanks to the vets of WWII and all US campaigns.

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Battle of the Bulge

They are the greatest generation. I can only imagine the courage of those men who had to fight and endure what they suffered through in the Ardennes.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> They are the greatest generation. I can only imagine the courage of those men who had to fight and endure what they suffered through in the Ardennes.
You got that right GG.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I had many friends and neighbors in the 101st Airborne, including several who didn't return from Bastogne.<br /><br />That battle certainly drained and exhausted the Wermacht.<br /><br />We looked at war differently back then. We grieved for our losses but understood that they were the price of eventual victory. There was no thought of quitting and no investigations of why we weren't prepared for the German breakout or castigations of our war leaders because it wasn't a walk in the park.<br /><br />Thanks for the reminder, DJ. We all need to remember (or learn about) how a great country at war behaved; over there and here at home.

agitator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The greatest generation went to war and most stayed until it was over unless they were killed or severely wounded. Now we look at a six or twelve month deployment as a real hardship. Also, todays wounded are never far from top notch medical care and evacuation.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

JB...have you read Stephen Ambrose's books?<br />I have 4 or more of them. <br />Not sure which one, but one covers the Bulge in some detail. Maybe it was Citizen Soldiers, or maybe Band of Brothers.<br />Apart from covering fact and detail, they sort of gave me some insight in to the average life and its expectancy/dreams/reality. <br />The last one before his death was Beyond the Wild Blue. They were all good reads. <br />Get them out every so often and re-read. Must do it again soon.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Link

Rear Admiral

Great post DJ <br />Agree with all posts.

D

DJ

Many of our parents, uncles, grandparents spent Christmas in a freezing foxhole.<br /><br />I am FOREVER grateful that I sit SAFE in a warm home with plenty to eat.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Three years ago I was at the memorial at Melmady, where captured American troops were herded up and gunned down by Pfeiers's troops in the Panzer group.<br /><br />There were fresh flowers there from British units ans several nice artificial arrangements.<br /><br />We stayed outside Bastonge in a little town called Lavachary (I spelt in phoneitcally, my French is pretty bad). The people there we so happy so have American tourists visit their town. We were treated like the best of freinds by the Belgiums.<br /><br />We also toured St. Vith and other towns that were crucial to that battle. Every town has a monument in it honoring the Allies. <br /><br />If you ever get a chance to tour Europe, do it. If you stay in B & B's you can travel cheaply. It was a wonderful experience for us.<br /><br /><br />For those of you that have loved ones buried overseas perhaps this web site may be of interest.<br /><br /> American Battlefield Monuments<br /><br />I have family interred from Europe to Manilla.

D

DJ

Parrott,<br /><br />One of my life long dreams. Thanks for the info.